Hi ALL, Hope you had a wonderful New Year holiday and wishing everyone all the best in 2011. Here is the Chocolate checkerboard cake that I made for the New Year's Eve celebration. Hope that you love this pretty cake as much as I do. I used the checkerboard cake pan for making this pretty chocolate cake with peanut butter chocolate crispy rice as filling and ganache cream to cover the whole cake.
This cake pans was a gift from my dear blogger friend, Biren of Roti and Rice, click here and see what nice gifts she sent me. Biren is celebrating her 1st Blog Anniversary and having a cookbook as a giveaway, please check on her great blog and join the giveaway. You might be one of the lucky winner :)
Stunning cake, right?
Here is the recipe
250g Butter, room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla extract
500g All purpose flour
3/4 tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
2 cups Milk
2 tbsp Chocolate paste
- Preheat oven to 180C. Spray pans with vegetable pan spray.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and vanilla, mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, mix well after each addition. Continue beating 1 minute. Divide batter in half. Stir in chocolate paste into half the batter, mix well.
- Place Batter Dividing Ring into one prepared pan.
- Pour chocolate batter in outer and center sections and plain batter in the middle section. Fill sections halfway. (**for convenient filling, place batter in disposable piping bag)
- Remove ring from pan by carefully lifting straight up on handles. (mine is not straight.. is a curvy checkerboard...hahaa..). Bake 25-30 mins or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Rinse and completely dry ring and place ring in 2nd prepared pan and repeat the same step.
- For the 3rd pan, pour plain batter in outer and center sections and chocolate batter in the middle section. Remove ring from pan as before and bake at the same temperature.
200g Semi-sweet chocolate ~ chop to small pieces
50g Valrhona 66% chocolate ~ chop to small pieces
200g Whipping cream
one small bottle (300g) of Peanut butter chocolate crispy rice
In a large bowl, put in the chocolate pieces and butter together. Boil whipping cream and pour hot whipping cream over chocolate pieces. Use hand whisk to stir chocolate pieces till smooth and add 1 tsp vanilla extract, stir well and set aside.
- Position layer with chocolate cake on outside onto serving plate, spread top with peanut butter chocolate crispy rice.
- Position layer with plain cake on outside on top of first layer, spread top with peanut butter chocolate crispy rice.
- Position final layer, then pour ganache cream on entire cake. Decorate as desire.