Chinese Chive pocket (literally chive box 韭菜盒子) is one of the most popular street snack food in Northern China besides Chinese pot stickers (jiaozhi 饺子). The ‘pockets’ are pan fried while very often the filling is a combination of chives and scrambled eggs which is also one of my favourite Chinese snacks but personally, I prefer to add some ground pork and prawns to the filling, so that it will not fall out easily and become messy, while eating. It is very easy to make this snack at home and can be served within an hour with a pot of brewed Chinese tea.
- 100g ground pork with fat
- 50g prawn meat, bash and roughly chop
- 300g Chinese chives, remove the hard end and cut to 0.5cm length
- 1 egg, beaten (can use 2 eggs if prefer)
- ½tsp salt
- ¾tbsp light soya sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- dash of pepper
- 250g plain flour
- ⅛tsp salt
- 25g corn oil
- 150ml hot water
- 50ml cold water (room temp)
- Heat frying pan with oil and add beaten egg. Stir fry the beaten egg to break up to pieces, dish up and leave to cool.
- Filling - combine ground pork and prawn meat togeher. Add seasoning and mix well followed by chives and scrambled egg. Stir well again and chill chive mixture in the refrigerator for later use.
- Dough skin - Sift plain flour and salt into a large bowl. Add corn oil and hot water into it. Using a pair of chopsticks or spatula and stir flour mixture to lumpy. Then pour in cold water (about 35ml) and use hand (dust with some flour) to knead flour mixture for about 5-7 minutes to smooth. Add a little more water if dough skin is too dry or dust with little more flour if it is too sticky. Cover with cling wrap and rest dough for 20 minutes.
- Dust some flour on work top, knead dough again and divide into 10 equal portions, about 45-50g each.
- Roll soft dough into a smooth ball and flatten it on the work top. Then gently roll it with a rolling pin to a thin wrapper in an oval shape (as shown in pic).
- Scoop 2-3 tablespoons of chive filling on to one side of the wrap. fold it up and seal by pressing them together, then crimp the edges.
- Add adequate oil in frying pan and pan fry the pockets both sides to golden brown, about 3-5 minutes on each side at medium low heat and it is now ready to serve.
dough skin recipe adapted from here
- 100克 肉碎（带肥比较好吃），
- 50克 虾肉，拍烂切小
- 300克 韭菜，硬部分不要，叶子切小段约0.5cm
- 1个 鸡蛋，打撒 （喜欢的话也可以用2个鸡蛋）
- 1/2茶匙 盐
- 3/4汤匙 酱油
- 1汤匙 麻油
- 250克 普通面粉
- 1/8茶匙 盐
- 25克 玉米油
- 150毫升 热水
- 50毫升 冷水 （温室）
- 馅料 – 将肉碎，虾肉和调味料混合在一起，加入韭菜和鸡蛋碎，再拌匀即可。然后放入冰箱备用。
- 烫面皮 – 面粉和盐筛入大碗里，倒入油和热水。用刮刀搅拌成块状后，倒入冷水 （先倒入约35毫升水- 保留冷水视面团柔软度添加）。手上沾些面粉将面团搓揉约5-7分钟成至光滑。然后盖上保鲜纸松弛约20分钟。
- 面团一半放上 约2-3汤匙馅料，然后对折封边，用拇指把封边依朝内则捏圈花边。