2 Egg yolks
30g Cold water
250g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tbsp SP or ovalette
200g Melted butter with 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
75g Almond powder
- Prepare a 8″ square lined cake tin.
- Whisk cold egg whites, egg yolks, cold water, sugar, SP, plain flour and baking powder at high speed till thick.
- Lastly add in melted butter and mix well.
- Use spatula to fold in almond powder.
- Separate 1/4 of the batter into one bowl, add 3 tsp chocolate emulco, 3 tsp chocolate paste and 2 tsp mocca paste or coffee paste and mix well.
- Scoop 5 heaped tbsp of plain batter into the middle of the baking tin. Then scoop 3 tbsp of chocolate batter and add it in the center on top of the plain batter.
- Continue alternating the batters until you finish them. Then using a skewer or bamboo stick, draw lines outwards and inwards from the center of the cake to make feather pattern.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 170C for about 45 mins.
- Remove cake from cake tin after it is baked and allow to cool on wire rack before slicing.
Kitchen note: Same recipe used in Swirl cake (here)