- Preheat oven to 170C
- Sift flour and green tea powder together twice. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add water and corn oil and blend together. Add flour and green tea powder mixture and mix until batter becomes sticky. Set aside.
- Make meringue ~ Combine sugar and corn flour. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add half the sugar and flour mixture and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar and flour mixture and beat until egg whites are glossy, with stiff peaks.
- **Add one third of meringue to egg yolk mixture and fold in lightly, then add remaining meringue and fold to incorporate completely. **I’ve changed this method the other way round ~ Slowly pour all the egg mixture into the meringue at low speed then stop machine. Using a rubber spatula and fold the mixture well.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 20cm chiffon cake pan. Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes then switch oven to lower grill for 5 minutes.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and turn the pan over. Leave cake to cool in pan.
- Once cake has cooled completely, carefully run a knife or spatula around the sides of the cake to loosen it.
Here’s my adaption of the recipe Green Tea Chiffon Cake from the same book Okashi sweet treats made with love. I just love the aroma and taste of matcha or green tea powder in this light airy cake and it was gone within a day.
Here is the recipe (adapted from Okashi sweet treats made with love)
70g Plain flour
10g Green tea powder
5 Egg yolks
20g Caster sugar
60g Canola oil or corn oil
90g Caster sugar
10g Corn flour
5 Egg whites
**slowly pour egg mixture into the meringue