Here's my adaption of the recipe Green Tea Chiffon Cake from the same book Okashi sweet treats made with love. I just love the aroma and taste of matcha or green tea powder in this light airy cake and it was gone within a day.
Here is the recipe (adapted from Okashi sweet treats made with love)
70g Plain flour
10g Green tea powder
5 Egg yolks
20g Caster sugar
60g Canola oil or corn oil
90g Caster sugar
10g Corn flour
5 Egg whites
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Sift flour and green tea powder together twice. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add water and corn oil and blend together. Add flour and green tea powder mixture and mix until batter becomes sticky. Set aside.
- Make meringue ~ Combine sugar and corn flour. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add half the sugar and flour mixture and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar and flour mixture and beat until egg whites are glossy, with stiff peaks.
- **Add one third of meringue to egg yolk mixture and fold in lightly, then add remaining meringue and fold to incorporate completely. **I've changed this method the other way round ~ Slowly pour all the egg mixture into the meringue at low speed then stop machine. Using a rubber spatula and fold the mixture well.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 20cm chiffon cake pan. Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes then switch oven to lower grill for 5 minutes.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and turn the pan over. Leave cake to cool in pan.
- Once cake has cooled completely, carefully run a knife or spatula around the sides of the cake to loosen it.
**slowly pour egg mixture into the meringue