Seanyu requested to have Robin Teen-Titans on his 5th birthday cake. I spent two days making this cake with chocolate ganache cream and brought the cake to his school this morning to share with his class. So glad that all his little friends and teachers enjoyed the cake.
Happy 5th Birthday Seanyu! (Oops! I forgot to bring my camera this morning)
Some readers had asked me how to create the pattern on the cake in my previous birthday cakes (here) and here are some pictures that I'm going to show you how easy it is by using a scraper and serrated cake knife to draw lines on the cake.
- Make sure your fresh whipped cream is not too stiff or too sloppy.
- Place your cake centrally onto the turn table.
- Using the rubber spatula put a large dollop of whipped cream onto the top of the cake.
- Using the palette knife, spread the whipped cream evenly over the top and sides and spread smoothly for a flat surface.
- Then place the cake on the table, using the serrated knife, holding it at the two ends start at the furthest edge away from you, at an 45 degrees to the surface. Draw it across in a zig-zag way towards your body in one continuous movement, make sure not to press too hard.
- You can repeat this as many times as you like if you're unhappy with your previous attempt.
- Return any whipped cream collected on the edge of the knife straight back to the bowl and clean the blade of the knife after each attempt.
- **You can also use a scraper to create patterns.