- Blend the shelled prawns into paste and mix in the seasoning, marinate for about 15 mins.
- Wipe shiitake mushrooms with a slightly damp paper towel and discard the stems.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil (add little oil and salt into it) and blanch baby boy choy for about 3 minutes. Dish and drain.
- Sprinkle some corn flour on mushrooms then stuff with prawn paste and steam until cooked through (about 10-12 mins).
- Transfer steamed stuffed mushrooms onto serving plate and garnish with baby boy choy.
- Heat sauce mixture to boil and pour over the stuffed mushrooms.
- Serve immediately.
Oyster sauce is made with raw oysters. There is also the ‘vegetarian oyster sauce’ made with mushrooms for vegetarians. Oyster sauce can enhance the fresh taste of food ingredients. when it is used to marinate fish and meat, it can cover the fishy and raw smell. It is also suitable as a dipping sauce, thickening sauce or used for seasoning. Recipe adapted from Sauce Cookbook
1/4 cup Oyster sauce
1/4 cup Dark soy sauce
1/4 cup Sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Rice wine or Hua Tiao chiew (花调酒)
1/4 cup Water
Cook the sugar in water first to dissolve before adding the rest of the ingredients to cook further for a short while and leave to cool.
Keep oyster sauce in an airtight container.
Stuffed Mushrooms with Oyster Sauce
150g Shelled prawns
4 Large or 8-10 medium size Shiitake mushrooms
5-6 stalks Baby bok choy
2 tsp carrot – chopped to small pieces
1/2 tbps – Spring onion – cut finely
1-2 tbsp Water chestnut – chopped to small pieces (optional)
1/2 tbsp Egg white (lightly beaten)
1/2 tsp Light soy sauce
1/2 tsp Sesame oil
dash of pepper
2 tbsp Oyster sauce
3-4 tbsp Water
1/2 tsp Corn flour
Mix sauce mixture together in a small pot