Carrot cake is a cake which consists mixed with batter. The carrot softens in the cooking process and the cake usually has a soft, dense texture. This is the second time I baked this soft and moist carrot cake (the first carrot cake here) but this time I added orange juice, orange zest and with a hint cinnamon in the cake. It is also very easy to make this cake with just using a hand whisk and a rubber spatula to mix the batter well and in just with a couple of minutes it is ready to bake.
Here is the recipe
160g Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Corn oil or any vegetable oil (not peanut oil)
1 tbsp Orange zest
4 tbsp Orange juice (fresh)
180g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1tsp Ground cinnamon
- Line a 7 inch square tin at all sides.
- Peel carrot and grate into shreds.
- Gently mix brown sugar, corn oil, orange juice and eggs till combined. Add shredded carrot, raisins and orange zest and mix well.
- Sift flour, baking soda and ground cinnamon together. Fold into the wet ingredients.
- Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 40-45 mins or use a skewer inserted into the the center of the cake comes out clean. Leave cake to cool and dust some icing sugar or snow powder on top.
- Place the cake in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator, you will find the cake is still soft and fresh even after five days.
Kitchen note: For better cut of the cake, it is better to chill the cake for about an hour or more, as you can see my cake is quite crumbly because I can't wait to taste it ;D