Here is the recipe
(A) 140g Butter
50g Sugar caramel syrup/golden syrup
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Lemon yellow colouring
(B) 1 Large eggs
(C) 220g Plain flour
150g Top flour
1/4 tsp Baking powder
(D) 550g Lotus paste (store bought) with one handful of melon seeds
- Pour ingredient (A) into cake mixer and beat till creamery. Scrape bowl and add egg with 2 tbsp of flour (from ingredients C), beat well.
- Pour in ingredients (C) with 2 tbsp ground almond into egg mixture and use a rubber spatula roughly mix the mixture together. Texture should looks crumbly with flour on it.
- Wrap dough in a plastic bag ~ flatten it and put in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Measure 550g lotus paste with one handful of melon seeds into it and knead to smooth. Divide lotus paste into 18 pcs (about 30g each) and roll into a round ball. Cover with a cling wrap and set aside
- Take dough out from freezer and knead dough to smooth. Divide dough into 18 round balls.
- Flatten dough with a roller pin and wrap up the lotus paste filling into it and shaping it like an egg shape then place on baking tray with baking sheet below.
- Lightly brush the surface with beaten egg and add some melon seeds on top.
- Bake at preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Leave Shanghai mooncake to cool and store in an airtight container.