Tofu is one of my favourite food items and I like anything that cooked with tofu. Two months back when I saw this Baked Tofu Cheesecake from a Chinese magazine, I told myself I have to try this recipe when I'm free. I've tweaked the recipe a little and the cheesecake turned out light and moist that almost melts in your mouth. If you're a fan of Tofu and Cheesecake, here is the simple combination recipe that you don't have to worry about unwanted calories.
250g Silken tofu (tube form)
250g Cream cheese
5 Egg yolks
120ml Soya milk (unsweetened)
3 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract
70g Plain flour (sifted)
5 Egg whites
130g Caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 9" cake tin and wrap with heavy duty aluminium foil to prevent any water from sipping into the cheesecake during baking.
- In a food processor, blend all (A) ingredients until smooth. Put mixture in a large bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg white and caster sugar until semi-firm peaks form to make soft meringue.
- Use a whisk to mix 1/3 soft meringue with mixture.
- Gently fold in the rest with spatula.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and steam bake for about 50 mins at the lower rack of the oven.
- Move the cheesecake to upper rack of the oven and switch temperature to grill for about 30 seconds to one minute to get a nice golden colour on top of the cake.
- Leave cheesecake to cool in room temperature, remove and best to chill before serve.