Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- 250g Purple sweet potato (peeled, chopped and boiled)
- 150ml Fresh milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 Egg yolks
- 50g Condensed milk
- 250ml Whipping cream
- Place chopped sweet potato in a pot and cover with water. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.Then place the cooked sweet potato, sugar and fresh milk in a liquidiser, blend till very smooth. Add a little more milk if you find the cooked sweet potato is still a little dry.
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks and condensed milk together and set aside. Boil 250ml whipping cream and gradually add into the egg yolk mixture and stir well with a hand whisk. Then pour egg yolk mixture back to the pot and bring to boil over low heat, stir until thickens, remove from heat.
- Add in sweet potato, mix well and leave to cool and chill for 2 hours.
- Then pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn for about 30-40 minutes till soft ice cream is formed or according to maker’s instruction.
- Spoon the soft ice cream into a container and freeze for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Alternatively if you don’t have a ice cream maker, put the mixture in a container and freeze it. Then stir it through a fork every one to two hours. Repeat this process for 4 to 5 times until the ice cream becomes smooth and frozen.
- The purpose of stirring the ice cream mixture at regular intervals is to prevent formation of big ice crystals in the ice cream, so the final product becomes smooth and nice.
- Can use same amount of taro/yam to replace sweet potato.
recipe adapted from 免烤点品with slight adjustment