Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- 250g Purple sweet potato (peeled, chopped and boiled)
- 150ml Fresh milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 Egg yolks
- 50g Condensed milk
- 250ml Whipping cream
- Place chopped sweet potato in a pot and cover with water. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.Then place the cooked sweet potato, sugar and fresh milk in a liquidiser, blend till very smooth. Add a little more milk if you find the cooked sweet potato is still a little dry.
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks and condensed milk together and set aside. Boil 250ml whipping cream and gradually add into the egg yolk mixture and stir well with a hand whisk. Then pour egg yolk mixture back to the pot and bring to boil over low heat, stir until thickens, remove from heat.
- Add in sweet potato, mix well and leave to cool and chill for 2 hours.
- Then pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn for about 30-40 minutes till soft ice cream is formed or according to maker’s instruction.
- Spoon the soft ice cream into a container and freeze for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Alternatively if you don’t have a ice cream maker, put the mixture in a container and freeze it. Then stir it through a fork every one to two hours. Repeat this process for 4 to 5 times until the ice cream becomes smooth and frozen.
- The purpose of stirring the ice cream mixture at regular intervals is to prevent formation of big ice crystals in the ice cream, so the final product becomes smooth and nice.
- Can use same amount of taro/yam to replace sweet potato.
recipe adapted from 免烤点品with slight adjustment
Oh I love this one…. how smart you are to turn sweet potato to sweet potato ice-cream. So healthy & yummy, and the colour is awesome. Will definitely try to make it when my friends come to visit me next week. Thanks for your sharing your lovely receipe!
ooh, i think i can imagine the taste of the ice cream..would like to have some now!!
That's such a healthy ice cream….mmmm. With sweet potatoes, I think I will end up eating many scoops:D
Ann, I love to eat sweet potato but never try ice cream b4, must be as delicious.
Oh I love this purple sweet potato ice cream…
We love ice cream and our favorite is vanilla but must try this one for sure.
Looks so good! I Love sweet potato but i just cant find purple ones where i live.. Beautiful recipe:D
I have heard of pumpkin ice cream and yum ice cream but not sweet potato ice cream. I am sure I will like it, would like to give it a try.
Ann, this is the 1st ice-cream recipe that I've seen from your place. Purple sweet potato is my fav food! Seriously, haven't had sweet potato ice-cream b4, I can imagine it must be tasting good!
Sweet potato ice cream sounds great and healthy!
Never taste sweet potato ice cream before would like to have a scoop now..:p
Ann , that ice cream looks wonderful ! Love the sweet potato flavor so as pretty color ! Did you check your email ?! I've already sent you my coffee ice cream so throw a scoop or three of that deliciousness over here ! lol
it looks divine.. i never had anything like it before but i would imagine it to be smooth and creamy..yum!
I enjoy looking at sweet desserts using purple sweet potatoes! We also eat the sweet potato (we call it purple potato) ice cream too! Such a nice treat/post for the weekend. Very beautiful color and I just want to lick off screen. 🙂
I love sweet potatoes but never ate ice cream. I can imagine the wonderful taste because the color looks absolutely amazing, Ann!
Have a wonderful Friday and weekend ahead!!!!
hi Ann, my girl loves yam ice cream so much, i guess she'll love this too
for me, no question asked, since i'm sweet potatoes lover 🙂
thks for sharing the tips to make without ice cream maker as i dont own one 🙂
this is sth new! very tempted to try making yam ice cream w/o the machine though… bookmarking… =P
I thank yam is better than sweet potato like ornee.
Ann, may I know if you use a ice-cream maker? I don't have one, and would like to try this out one day. thanks! your ice-cream looks so refreshing with such romantic color!
Yes I used ice cream maker to make this and I just followed the recipe from the cookbook but increased the sweet potatoes and milk.
I didn't know can use sweet potato to make ice cream, guess you will make pumpkin ice cream too.: )
I was also thinking to make pumpkin ice cream too. Thanks for reminding.
Not only does this look and sound delicious, but the purple makes it oh so much cooler!!
I love the purple colour of the ice cream.. I have never seen sweet potato ice cream and this seems very easy to make, can try out at home for my kids.
Actually I saw some recipes on websites added with lemon juice and cinnamon powder to make the ice cream more fragrant. Perhaps you can consider to add these too.
哈哈。。。一点也不厉害。全部丢进ice cream maker 里就可以了。
I have never tried sweet potato ice cream before . From the look, it is healthy and used only 2 egg yolks…I have KIV this and thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂 Have a nice day and good to have you back !
You're welcome and hope you have a wonderful weekend 🙂
Sweet potato in ice cream. Sounds interesting… yummy clicks
Thanks Vimitha 🙂
Yummy! I didn't know you could make ice cream using sweet potato!
My first time making this ice cream from a cookbook. Not bad 🙂
never had sweet potato in ice cream before, your ice cream sound good and healthy too.
Sonia，I think use yam better.
This looks amazing! Love the idea of sweet potato.
so cute and yummy …
That cute rabbit was just saying, "Hello" to me. I think it's adorable. I've wanted some of those purple sweet potatoes for a while but they are hard to come by here. Ice cream sounds like a perfect way to enjoy them.
Hi Gina, hahaa… the colour of cute rabbit ears are quite the same as the ice cream, right? I can send you some 😀
Hi Ann, this is very interesting, have never heard ofmusing sweet potatoes to make icrecream! I suppose the orange color sweet potatpes can be used also? Good idea to try this – one way to get my son to eat sweet potatoes haha!
Esther, The original recipe is using orange color sweet potatoes and since I bought the purple one, I just changed the colour 😀
This ice cream looks amazing! Love the color. Wish I can have a double scoop now.
Biren, Thank you. Can have 4 scoops if you want. The weather is so hazy these two days and is really good to have something cooling. Oh… in fact I've made so many desserts lately 🙂
Wow, this is such a great ice cream! Lovely!
interesting I haven't had like this looks wonderful
Ive never make sweet potato ice cream before….and this is something new to me too! Got to make it one day. It must be yummy and delicious.
Mel, I was also curious when I saw this recipe. This ice cream is not so fragrant like yam but quite yummy. Next time I'll try on yam.