Yōkan (羊羹) or Wagashi is a popular traditional Japanese chilled dessert usually made with red bean paste. Yokan is made in a block form and the firm texture makes it easy to slice up prior to serving. This is a simple recipe which you can easily do at home. This dessert is not only yummy but healthy too with the high fiber content in the sweet potatoes. In fact you can find many variations of making Yokan online. So, why not give it a try?
- 350g purple sweet potato without skin
- 300ml water
- 1tsp (2g) agar agar powder
- 60g sugar or to taste
- Cut sweet potato cut thickly after skin removed. Steam under high heat for about 30 minutes or till soft. Mash sweet potato with a fork while it is still hot.
- In a pot, add water, sugar and agar agar, stir to boil medium heat. Pour mashed sweet potato into it and stir till combined at low heat for about 1 minute.
- Blend sweet potato mixture to smooth till paste. Then pour into a 6 inch square pan (grease pan with little oil). smoothen by a spatula.
- Leave to cool, then chill in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hour before consuming.
- 350克 紫薯，不带皮
- 300毫升 水
- 1茶匙 （2克）菜燕粉
- 60克 细糖或适量
- 将紫薯切成块状 （去了皮）。用大火蒸紫薯30分钟至软。然后用叉将紫薯压烂。
- 然后将紫薯液用搅拌器搅打至幼滑， 然后倒入一个6寸正方形盘（底部抹油）抹平。
Thank you Gourmet Living magazine again for featuring my recipe on your Jun/Jul issue. This food magazine is now available at all the newsstand.