I love Cake!...YES! I love this soft banana cake. These cute cupcakes square cases were Christmas gift to me from Esther (我的厨房乐园), very suitable for this soft banana cake. I've bookmarked this yummy recipe posted by Ju ~ Little Teochew before Chinese New Year and Angel ~ Cook Bake Love also baked this ultra soft banana cake last week. It is very easy to make, healthier using canola oil and this cupcakes indeed taste better the next day.
Here is the recipe (adapted from Ju of Little Teochew & Angel of Cook.Bake.Love~ recipe written in Chinese)
90g Canola or sunflower oil
70g Castor sugar
1 Large egg, lightly beaten
125g Plain flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
4 medium-sized bananas, mashed with a fork (about 160g)
25g Evaporated milk or regular milk
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract and 1 tsp rum
A very soft, flavorful banana cake with rum in it.
- Beat egg and sugar till light and creamy.
- Add milk, mashed bananas, oil, rum and vanilla extract, and combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and baking soda, and give a quick whisk.
- Pour flour into the wet ingredients until no traces of flour remain. (I used hand whisk to fold the flour) Do not over-mix. Stop the moment everything is incorporated.
- Pour into a lined 6-inch round tray (I used 8 cupcake cases)
- Bake at 175C for about 20-25 mins, or until cooked.