I love Yuja 柚子茶 (Korean Honey Citron Tea) and have always keep a bottle in my fridge most of the time because it is very refreshing when you make it into hot tea. I baked chiffon cake again, this time with Yuja 柚子茶(Honey Citron Tea) that I used for making Cheesecake (here) one month ago. This Yuja Chiffon Cake is really soft and light, the taste is good too though the smell of Yuja is rather mild. You can see my chiffon cake is quite low because I've used a wrong tube pan size 23cm. If you want to bake this cake or use 4 eggs for chiffon cake, remember to use the correct tube pan size 20cm.
Here is the recipe (adapted from Do What I Like with slight adjustment)
4 Egg yolks (used large eggs - 70g each)
1/4 tsp Salt
5 tbsp Corn oil
100g Yuja (Korean Honey Citron Tea)
5 tbsp Boiling Water
120g Cake flour or Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
4 Egg whites
1/2 tsp Cream of tar tar
- Cream egg yolks, sugar and salt till creamy.
- Add in the oil and mix well.
- Add 5 tbsp boiling water to the Yuja (honey citron tea) and stir till diluted. Mince the citron peel with a pair of scissors. Add this into the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
- Sieve flour and baking powder together twice and stir well into the egg yolk mixture with a hand whisk.
- Beat egg white and cream of tar tar until foamy, slowly add sugar and continue to beat until peak form.
- Gently fold beaten egg white foam into egg yolk batter until blended OR Slowly pour all the egg mixture into the meringue at low speed then stop machine. Using a rubber spatula and fold the mixture well.
- Pour batter into a 20cm tube pan and bake at 170C for 40-45 minutes.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and turn the pan over. Leave cake to cool in pan.
- Once cake has cooled completely, carefully run a knife or spatula around the sides of the cake to loosen it
Enjoy this Yuja Chiffon Cake serve with Yuja tea (柚子茶)
kitchen note: To make Yuja tea 柚子茶 ~ add 2 tbsp of Yuja to 2 cups of boiling water.
I also made Fried Prawns in honey citron sauce ~ stay tuned!