Tau Suan (split mung bean soup) topped with you tiao (fried dough fritters) is one of the popular Chinese dessert soups in Singapore. This simple dessert is quite easy to whip up at home. There are 2 ways of cooking this Tau Suan thickened with potato flour or water chestnut flour and you can find many similar recipes online. One way is you steam the split mung beans and another is you gently fry the split mung beans with sugar until it is caramelised. I prefer the second option adapted from ‘here‘ as it can be done within 30 minutes and I can indulge in this sweet dessert sooner. I even kept the leftover in the refrigerator to serve cold and it is just as delicious especially in this warm weather.
Delicious to serve this Tau Suan (split mung bean soup) either hot or cold
Tau Suan (split mung bean soup)
- 1300 ml water
- 200 g split mung beans
- 3 tbsp caster sugar - for frying mung beans
- 30 g potato starch - plus 3 tbsp water
- 80-100 g caster sugar - or to taste (I used black sugar)
- 1-2 sticks you tiao (fried dough fritters)) - cut small with a pair of scissors
- Rinse and soak the split mung beans in room temperature water for about 10 minutes and drain well
- In a pot, add 1300ml water and pandan leaves and bring to a boil. Then let it simmer for about 10 minutes under low heat.
- Fry the mung beans with 3 tablespoons of sugar under low heat. Keep stirring until the mung beans are caramelized and slightly changes in color to deeper yellow.
- Discard the pandan leaves and pour in mung beans and add sugar to taste. Boil under medium low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, till mung beans soft and tender but still whole. Do not boil the mung beans under high heat,, as they will break out easily and become mushy.
- Combine potato flour with 3 tbsp water, stir well. Slowly drizzle in the potato solution to thicken the soup (stirring constantly) to your desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot with cut you tiao.
- 1300毫升 水
- 3-6 片 香兰叶
- 200克 綠豆绊
- 3汤匙 细沙糖 （炒綠豆绊）
- 30克 马铃薯淀粉 +3汤匙水
- 80-100克 细砂糖 （我用黑糖）
- 1-2根 油条，用剪刀剪小
- 将马铃薯淀粉 和3汤匙水搅匀，慢慢倒入绿豆爽烫里勾芡，边搅边下，以免不小心勾的太浓稠。