Chocolate Jelly Pudding 巧克力果冻布丁
I love chocolate pudding and have shared quite a few tweaked recipes (here and here) especially for the festive Christmas season or when there’s a house guest at home. This will be dessert after a hearty meal. This fragrant Chocolate Jelly Pudding is easy to put together with a mix of gelatin and agar agar powder without adding cornstarch or egg yolk. It has a firm and soft texture in between. This delicious dessert can be made 3 days ahead and chilled in the refrigerator before serving. Gently boil the chocolate (in less than 5 minutes), then pour it in a small mould (18 x 8cm) to cool down a little and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. You can serve this cold chocolate jelly pudding with a simple dust of cocoa powder or with some fresh berries.
This article may feature affiliate links, and purchases made may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you
Chocolate Jelly Pudding
- 75 g dark chocolate - semi sweet chocolate
- 500 ml fresh milk
- 85 g caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp agar agar powder - or kanten powder
- 15 g Valrhona cocoa powder (or Hershey's) - sifted
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder + 1tsp - about 14g
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Chop dark chocolate to pieces and melt under double boiler till smooth, set aside.
- Soak gelatin with 1.5 tablespoons of water and set aside.
- Mix a few tablespoons of milk together with cocoa powder and stir well.
- Pour remaining milk into pot together with sugar, agar agar powder and cocoa mixture, stir well and add vanilla extract.
- Boil and stir chocolate mixture at medium low heat to boil. Drop in soaked gelatin and continue to stir mixture for another 3 minutes, off heat.
- Pour melted chocolate into liquid mixture and to stir until chocolate combined. Turn on heat again at low heat and stir mixture for another minute, off heat.
- Then pour chocolate mixture into mould (18x8cm) and cool down a little. Then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Dust of cocoa powder or with some fresh berries when served
- This delicious dessert can be made 3 days ahead and chilled in the refrigerator before serving.
- You may double the recipes and make into serving cups.
- 75克 黑巧克力 （半苦甜巧克力）
- 500毫升 牛奶
- 85克 细砂糖
- 3/4茶匙 菜燕粉 （5克）或寒天粉
- 15克 可可粉，过筛 Valrhona巧克力
- 1汤匙 + 1茶匙 鱼胶粉 (吉利丁粉)， 约14克
- 1/4茶匙 香草香精
hi there, thanks for the timely idea and recipe. I’d to understand why there is a combination of agar agar and gelatine, instead of one or the other please ? Is it optional or really necessary, we do not easily find agar agar powder here. Can I eventually use only gelatine ? Kind regards,
Hi Babe, to combine the agar powder and gelatine will get a firmer texture and will not break the pudding easily. You can increase the gelatine to 20g since you don’t have agar powder. Must be very careful when releasing the pudding after set or you may serve the jelly pudding in individual serving cups.
May I know the 75gm dark chocolate, is it compound or couverture choc pls?
Hi Janice, I used compound chocolate.