Mid Autumn/Mooncake Festival is just around the corner and I'm very happy this year I've a partner making mooncake together with me. Sal always mentioned that she wanted to try her hand at making Snowskin Mooncake. So I called her a few days ago to check whether she's got the time to join me and have fun. She quickly said yes and we agreed to meet at her place. Since we did not need to use a cake mixer, I just brought along my new moulds and ingredients to her house yesterday afternoon. We had a great time in the kitchen, chatting and moulding the mooncake at the same time and eating of course! We spent about 2 hours making the mooncake in different flavours. Sal and her kids loved all of them and she was surprised to find that it was easy to make these pretty mooncakes. They were almost all gone before her hubby had got a chance to taste them! She even told me she'll make another batch for her family and friends, all by herself. In the end I only brought home two boxes of snowskin mooncakes. I didn't mind at all as I had really enjoyed the afternoon we had together.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011) hosted by
300g Snowskin flour (from Gim Hin Lee)
280g Icing sugar (sifted)
95g Criso shortening (I used mooncake shortening from Sunlik)
250g Pandan water (cold)
1/4 tsp Banana essence (optional)
- Boil 1 litre water with 6 pandan leaves one or two days ahead and store in the fridge.
- In a large bowl add snowskin flour and icing sugar together, mix well. Then add shortening, use spatula or wear a disposal hand glove to mix roughly.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in pandan syrup with essence ~~ knead to soft dough ( a bit sticky)~~cover and let it rest for 10 mins~~then knead dough to soft.
- Divide dough into equal portion and add colouring for different type of fillings and wrap in filling paste.
- Roll it into a ball and dust with some cooked glutinous rice flour (Gao fen 糕粉).
- Press firmly into mould ~~unmould it and store in airtight container.
- Chill snowskin mooncakes before consume.