Remember I made Earl Grey Tea Cookies which was posted before Chinese New Year last year? This time around I’ve tweaked and transformed the cookie recipe to this Earl Grey Tea Cake in the pretty heart shaped chiffon cake pan. This cake turned out light, soft and fragrant with the hint of Earl Grey flavour. In fact we finished off this cake within a day. This cake is ideal to serve as tea cake for your guests during Chinese New Year and also on Valentine’s Day.
- 55g cake flour or plain flour
- 2 tbsp almond ground/meal
- 3 egg yolks (large size egg - 70g each)
- 20g sugar
- 50g corn oil or canola oil
- 80ml fresh milk
- 2 Earl Grey tea bag
- 75g sugar
- ¾ tbsp Corn flour (7g)
- 3 Egg whites
- Heat up fresh milk (not boiled and off heat), add Earl Grey tea leaves in it. Cover and leave to cool then strain tea leaves through a fine sieve and set aside (keep tea leaves).
- Sift flour twice and mix well with almond meal.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add Earl Grey tea and corn oil and blend together. Add flour mixture and mix well with a hand whisk and lastly add in the tea leaves. Mix well again and set aside.
- Make meringue - Combine sugar and corn flour. Beat egg whites until foamy at low speed. Add half the sugar and flour mixture and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar mixture and beat until egg whites are glossy, with stiff peaks.
- Gradually pour all the egg mixture into the meringue at low speed then stop machine. Using a rubber spatula and fold the mixture well.
- Pour batter evenly into the heart shaped pan or 18cm chiffon tube pan. Gently bang the pan on the table top to release air bubbles.
- Place cake pan in the pre-heated oven 170C and bake at for about 35-40 minutes.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and turn the pan over. Leave cake to cool completely in pan before unmoulding.
- 55克 低筋面粉/中筋面粉
- 2汤匙 杏仁粉
- 3个 蛋黄 （用大鸡蛋，约一个70克）
- 20克 细砂糖
- 50克 玉米油或菜籽油
- 80毫升 牛奶
- 2包 伯爵茶包
- 75克 细砂糖
- 3/4汤匙 玉米粉 （7克）
- 3个 蛋白
- 蛋白霜 – 把细糖和玉米粉混匀。用电动打蛋器（低速度）把蛋白打致起泡泡。细砂糖混合物分两次加入，然后用中速度将蛋白打致硬性发泡。