Here is the recipe
1 Kg Whole Chicken or Chicken Thigh – cut to pieces
500g Potatoes – remove skin and soak in salted water for a while then cut to pieces
2 1/2 tbsp Miso paste or Fermented Soy Bean Paste (here)
1 1/2 tbsp Garlic – chopped
2 tbsp Dark soy sauce ( 广祥泰陈年老抽)
1 tsp Sugar
250 – 300ml Water
1/2 tbsp Corn flour with 1 tbsp water (optional)
- Clean and wash chicken. Pat dry chicken with kitchen towel and cut to pieces. Season chicken with 1/2 tsp each of sesame oil, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce and marinate chicken for 1-2 hours.
- Heat enough oil in wok, add chopped garlic and miso paste and fry for a while till aromatic.
- Add in chicken pieces with another 2 tbsp dark soy sauce and 1 tsp sugar, continue to stir fry chicken well.
- Lastly add in cut potatoes, mix well with the chicken, add in 250ml water or water just enough to cover the chicken. Bring water to boil and cover with lid, lower heat and simmer for about 20 mins or potatoes soften.
- Add a little more water when the sauce dries up a little.
- Lastly add corn flour with water as thickening. (optional)
- Serve hot with rice.