600g Pork Belly Strips (3 strips) 三层肉 – cut into 2 or 3 slices
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
3 tbsp Dark Soya Sauce (Kwong Cheong Thye Brand)
1 pkt (400g) Tau Kwa （豆干)
6-8 Hard Boiled Eggs
1 Star Aniseed (八角)
1 Cinnamon stick (肉桂)-2″ length
2-3 tbsp Dark Soya Sauce – extra
- Season pork belly strips with salt, pepper and dark soya sauce. Marinate it till overnight.
- Heat up wok until very hot and turn to medium fire, add the pork belly into wok together with star aniseed and cinnamon stick and toss and turn it by using a tong without adding any oil, add in the balance sauce from the marinating until the sauce absorbed by the pork belly.
- Add 2 tbsp dark soya sauce and some water, continue to the turn the pork belly until aromatic.
- Pour in 300ml water (from the 500ml) and let it boil.
- Cut the tau kwa in quarter and add into the wok together with the hard boiled eggs.
- Push the pork belly to the side of the wok and place the tau kwa and eggs in the center.
- Drizzle about 1 tbsp dark soy sauce on tau kwa and eggs and stir well, lower fire, cover with lid and simmer for about 20 mins.
- Remove the tau kwa and eggs from the wok.
- Then mix the sauce from the wok with pork belly and some garlic without skin, continue to simmer for about one hour or pork belly is soften.
note: Check the water often, if water get lessen, add a little more water. Add some dark soya sauce and salt if necessary.