I was very busy in this Chinese New Year festive season as large group of relatives from overseas came to visit my family during the holidays. We had hotpot on New Year’s Eve, with a few cooked dishes that I prepared ahead of time to lessen my stress. These easy Chinese braised mushrooms is one of the dishes that I cooked the day before and heated up on the day of serving. It’s a simple traditional dish that my grandmother used to cook with dried oyster (蚝豉) and black moss (发菜) for Chinese New Year when I was a little girl. Pork lard was added in those days for more fragrance in the mushroom dish, but due to health consciousness, I used vegetable oil to stir fry the mushrooms instead. I didn’t add any cornstarch or oyster sauce but I put the mushrooms in the slow cooker with rock sugar and a little salt for 2-3 hours, until they were very soft and tender. I was very happy that my guests enjoyed this mushroom dish!
Chinese Braised Mushrooms
- 200 g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- rock sugar to taste
- salt to taste
- 50 g black moss
- Rinse the dried shiitake mushrooms under running water a few times to rinse away any dirts and impurities. Soak mushrooms with clean water for about 20 minutes. Then trim stems with a pair of scissors.
- Return the mushrooms into the large bowl and pour enough clean water to cover the mushrooms. Wrap with cling wrap and soak it overnight at room temperature.
- Put the black moss in a medium size bowl. Add water enough to cover the black moss and add few drops of cooking oil and soak for about 5 minutes. This will loosen the black moss and allows the dirt and particles sink to the bottom. Strain the black moss through a sieve and rinse with water and drain well, set aside.
- Lightly squeeze soaked mushrooms and save the mushroom water. Heat up wok with cooking oil and stir fry mushrooms for a few minutes until aromatic at medium heat. Pass mushroom water through a sieve into the mushrooms. Bring the mushroom water to boil and add rock sugar and salt to taste.
- Then pour all the mushrooms together with the liquid into slow cooker. (Add more water enough to cover the mushrooms). Turn on heat and let it the mushrooms braised in the slow cooker for about 2-3 hours. Add black moss into the braised mushrooms and simmer for another 20 minutes before serving.
- 200克 干香菇
- 4汤匙 玉米油
- 50克 发菜
- 香菇冲洗几遍。 将香菇浸泡在清水里20分钟后剪掉菇蒂，再冲洗把污物洗净。
- 然后在大碗里泡发香菇 ，盖上保鲜纸，浸泡隔夜（不用放入冰箱）。
- 然后将香菇料全部倒入慢炖锅内 （水不够满的话在添上少许水） ，焖煮香菇2-3小至入味及软。香菇食用前才把发菜放入炖锅内再焖煮20分钟即可。