I have always wanted to bake a Gula Melaka chiffon cake for a long time but have been been procrastinating. Many great bakers had shared their recipes in different versions. Just recently, my good friend, Eileen shared her pretty gula melaka chiffon cake on her blog and that spurred me on to bake one too. I’ve no regrets baking this cake as it was tasty, soft and tender and I like the aroma of the gula melaka syrup which made the cake so fragrant. Thank you Eileen for sharing this recipe.
Gula Melaka Chiffon Cake
Gula Melaka Syrup
- 150 g Gula Melaka (palm sugar) - chop to pieces
- 100 g coconut cream - Kara brand
- 2 pandan leaves - knotted
Egg yolk batter
- 6 egg yolks - used large eggs
- 40 ml corn oil - I used coconut oil
- 140 g cake flour or plain flour - sifted
- 6 egg whites
- 30 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place gula melaka, coconut cream and pandan leaves into a small pot. Boil at low heat and till gula melaka dissolves. Pass syrup through a sieve and set aside to cool.
- Egg yolk mixture -In a large bowl, stir well egg yolks, and coconut oil with a hand whisk, followed by the gula melaka syrup. Pour in the cake flour and stir well till combined.
- Meringue - Whisk egg whites and salt till frothy with an electric mixer at low speed, gradually add in the sugar in batches. Continue beating egg whites at medium speed till stiff peaks form.
- Add ⅓ of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture, fold well with a rubber spatula. Then gently fold in the rest of egg whites till combined.
- Pour batter into a 8 inch chiffon tube pan. Bake in the preheated oven at 170 deg for about 45 minutes.
- Invert the cake pan immediately to cool completely before removing the cake from pan.
- 150g 椰糖 （剁碎）
- 100g 椰奶
- 2片 香兰叶（洗净打结）
- 6个 蛋黄
- 40毫升 粟米油 (我用了椰油）
- 140克 低筋或普通面粉，过筛
- 6个 蛋白
- 30克 细砂糖