At the mention of Chiffon cakes, first on the baking list will always be Pandan flavour chiffon cake as it’s a very popular and traditional simple soft cake using the juice of pandan leaves, here in Malaysia and Singapore. Next comes with orange flavour. I’ve baked quite a number of chiffon cakes in different flavours before but have yet to try one with with orange. So for this month Little Thumbs Up event – Orange theme. I made this cake in 2 colours, orange and chocolate (with chocolate paste). I really love the cottony and light texture of the cake and can grab and eat 2 slices in a row. This recipe was adapted from Jessie and Cass, thank you my friends for sharing this yummy recipe 🙂
- 4 egg yolks (70g egg each)
- 15g caster sugar
- 50g corn oil
- 70g fresh orange juice
- zest from 1 orange
- 90g plain flour, sifted
- 10g corn flour, sifted
- 4 Eggs whites
- 65g Caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C. Mix sifted plain flour and corn flour in a bowl.
- Beat yolks and sugar with a hand whisk until slight pale. Add oil, orange juice and zest. Stir as you add.
- Sieve the flour the second time into the yolk mixture. Stir as you add till smooth and egg mixtures into thick paste.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar in 3 separate rounds and whisk until stiff peak and glossy-looked.
- Fold ⅓ of egg whites into the yolk mixture. Then pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently until just combined with a rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter into 2 equal portions, about 250g and mix one portion with 1 tablespoon of chocolate paste.
- Scoop half portion of the plain batter into the 21 cm chiffon pan then 2nd layer with chocolate batter, remaining plain batter and end with chocolate batter. (**my chiffon cake is a little low, best to use a 20cm pan), lift and drop the pan gently to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 2nd lower rack in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Invert immediately and let to cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Dust cake with cocoa powder as desire.
update: baked this the 2nd time in a smaller pan – 18 cm
- 4个 蛋黄（鸡蛋约70克一个）
- 15克 细砂糖
- 50克 玉米油
- 60克 鲜橙汁
- 1粒 香橙皮屑
- 90克 面粉，过筛
- 10克 玉米粉，过筛
- 4个 蛋白
- 65克 细砂糖
Here is an example of how to use the cake stencil