Strawberry Roll with Rose Petal Jam for Valentine’s Day 草莓玫瑰花瓣果酱蛋糕券
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and is also ‘yuan xiao’ (元宵) meaning the 15th night the end of the Chinese New Year. It is also known by many as Chinese Valentine’s Day. So how do you celebrate this special day with your loved ones? For this year, I made a Strawberry roll with rose petal jam. The rose petal jam in the cake gave a sweet floral rose fragrance which combines well with fresh strawberries. I also added some heart shape chocolate at the sides of the cake. The souffle sponge cake recipe was adapted from my favourite cookbook Okashi, Sweet Treat Made with Love. This recipe is very easy to follow and it takes about an hour to make this cake including the decoration. A perfect tea time treat for someone special. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Strawberry Roll with Rose Petal Jam for Valentine's Day 草莓玫瑰花瓣果酱蛋糕券
Author: Ann Low
Serves: 1 cake roll
- 1 Whole egg + 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 35g Butter
- 60g Plain flour, sifted
- 80g Fresh milk
- 3 Egg whites
- 75g Caster sugar
- 150g Fresh topping cream
- Adequate Rose Petal Jam
- Snow powder (or icing sugar) for dusting and some dried rose buds for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 28 x 28cm (11 inch) square pan with non grease baking paper.
- Combine egg, egg yolks and vanilla extract in a small bowl and beat lightly. Set aside.
- Place butter in a small saucepan, and heat gently until melted. Add flour to melted butter and cook through. Then add egg mixture a little at a time. With a spatula, mix into a smooth batter. Add milk and mix to incorporate. Strain batter to a large bowl and set aside.
- To make meringue: Place egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until foamy. Add half the sugar and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar and beat until egg whites are glossy peak form.
- Add one-third of meringue to batter and fold in lightly, then add remaining meringue and fold through until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and spread evenly with a scraper or palette knife.
- Bake for 20 minutes. When the cake is done, remove from pan and leave to cool down completely. Turn cooled sponge cake onto a parchment paper.
- Whip fresh topping cream to stiff peak form. Spread whipped cream (not too thick) in an even layer over the entire sponge.
- Spoon some rose petal jam and spread thinly and evenly over whipped cream then spread another thin layer of fresh cream on top. Place 6-7 pieces of whole strawberries on the sponge.
- Gently roll up sponge from the edge and refrigerate the cake roll for few hours until firm. Trim the sides of the cake roll and decorate it as desired.
- 1 个 全蛋+ 3 个蛋黄
- 1 茶匙 Vanilla 香精
- 35克 牛油
- 60克 底筋面粉 （过筛）
- 80克 牛奶
- 3个 蛋白
- 75克 细砂糖
- 150克 甜忌廉 （植物性鲜奶油）
- 防潮 糖霜，干玫瑰 ~ 装饰用
- 将甜忌廉 （植物性鲜奶油）打发致8分硬性发泡，抹上在蛋糕上（不要太厚）。用刮刀抹平。
Artistic! Too beautiful to eat? Maybe but I would say, can I have an another slice please. I made a similar looking rolled cake before but not as detailed as yours.
this is the most pretty ROLL i ever see. so impressive
This swiss roll is gorgeous! And I love your rose petal jam.
this is stunning hope you had a special valentines day
That's a classy beauty, Ann!
I'm such a klutz when it comes to cake rolls, Ann. Seriously, you wouldn't believe what some of mine have looked like in the past, lol…Yours, on the other hand, looks magnificent! As I read you directions, you make it sound so easy but if I were to try rolling, I would really need to remember the word, gently🙂
I love the combination of Rose Jam and Strawberries. The special silky layers of cream in between must be like a heavenly blanket. Happy Valentine's Day to You and your family, Ann. Enjoy, and thank you so much for sharing…
happy valentines day…such a beautiful creation. a very nice flavour with the roses on top, beautiful.
Such a pretty cake , a perfect Valentine's Day cake 😀 Happy Valentine's Day , Ann !!!!
Happy Valentine and Chap Goh Meh to you Ann, I had tried this recipe before and found it produced a very nice soft and fine crumbed cake which I love. Your cake looks so perfect for the ocassion:)
Hi Ann, your cake looks beautiful as a whole and also sliced! Rose petal jam sounds very special, I would love to try n find this here too. Happy Valentine's Day to you!
Ann, this is such a romantic and beautiful cake for Valentine's Day! Happy Valentine's Day!
This Valentine roll is just amazingly beautiful Ann. Definitely pinning and sharing. Happy Valentines Day! 🙂
This is really sweet and pretty, Ann! Happy Valentine's Day and Happy Yuan Xiao!
Hi Ann, Happy Valentine's Day to you. Very lovely cake..
So sweet and romantic here.
Ann, Happy valentine's day!
Happy Valentine's Day to you too, Esther 🙂
Again, can't help myself looking at these beautiful pictures of your swiss roll, Ann! So are you still celebrating V's Day with your hubby, hehehe. Both Will & myself are unromantic people so like most of the years, we won't do any celebration at all.
Jessie, The roll cake is for the whole family. Just can't help to take more pictures … hahaa
Ann, you have outdone yourself! This is one romantic and lovely cake roll! Love how you garnish the cake. Excellent!
Hi Angie, Thank you very much for your compliment 🙂
Happy Valentine's Day!
What a lovely gift for Valentine's Day…. Who's the lucky one??
Thank you Cheah 🙂
Hope you're the one ^_^
oh gosh! this is so pretty!! i love how you played with roses and strawberry
Thank you Victoria 🙂
很浪漫的蛋糕。like ！！ like ！！
Ann, your strawberry roll looks so perfectly beautiful 🙂 especially with the strawberries and rosebuds!! I've never seen that rose petal jam before? Where to buy that?
Hi Grace, Thank you.
The rose petal jam is available at Shermay Cooking school.
Awesome roll! So beautiful with all those decorations. I can see you've put in a lot of love into this roll. Happy Valentine's Day, Ann.
Happy Valentine's Day, Veronica!
Thank you for your nice compliment 🙂
It looks so sweet, beautiful and romantic.
Thank you 🙂
This roll looks incredibly beautiful 🙂
We don't have any special celebrations for Valentines. Just nice dinner together 🙂
We didn't either. Just a small cake for the whole family.
Hi Ming Fung,
This is sooooo gorgeous Ann . .just loved the way u present it….I wish I can make it some day ..excellent!!
This is so beautiful and perfect for V-Day! Can rose petal jam be substituted with rose essence?
Thank you 🙂
Using rose essence will only get an artificial taste. You can also use the rose petal jam for spreading on bread.
Ann, I am first to comment!!! This is a fantastic cake! Its so beautiful!!! Will try this out one day. By the way, where to buy the rose petal jam? Happy Valentine's Day!
Hi Ai Li, yes you're the first ~ Happy Valentine's Day!
The rose petal jam was given to me by a friend and she bought it at Shermay Cooking school at Holland Village.