I made this Sweet Potato Cupcakes two days ago and it was the best treat for everyone at home. This recipe was adapted from my favourite book Okashi, sweet treats made with love. It was a very healthy steamed cake, no eggs or butter required. So easy to make and adding sweet potato in the cupcakes make them extra soft and delicious. This is definitely a keeper and I’ll make with purple sweet potato next time.
Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- Ingredients: recipe with slight modification – makes 6
230g Sweet Potato
50g Brown Sugar
120g Plain flour (sift together with baking powder)
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Sea salt
120g Soy milk (I used reduced sugar soy milk)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
20g Canola oil or salad oil
- Line muffin pan with paper cases. Set aside.
- Wash and peel sweet potato into small cubes. Place in a pot and add 2 tablespoon sugar. Pour in just enough water to cover. Simmer until sweet potatoes soften and drain. Measure 60g sweet potato and mash with a fork.
- Place brown sugar, sea salt and mashed potato in a bowl and beat well in the cake mixer.
- Add soy milk, vanilla extract and canola oil and mix well with a hand whisk.
- Add flour mixture and fold well with a rubber spatula. Add 3/4 of the cubed sweet potatoes and raisins to batter and fold in.
- Spoon batter into prepared paper cases. Top each with remaining pieces of sweet potatoes.
- Heat water in a steamer until boiling, then steam cupcakes over high heat for 20 minutes or until well risen. Remove from steamer and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve cupcakes warm or at room temperature.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #13: Enjoy Cupcakes! (November 2011)