This Yogurt Chicken Masala recipe was adapted from Today’s recipe column. The nice yellow colour and sweet fragrance come from the simple ingredients ~ chilli, turmeric, coriander and low fat natural yogurt. In the end, you will get an aromatic chicken, tangy from the yogurt and sweet with spices. As the writer said: This is a healthy dish where spices such as chilli and turmeric have anti-oxidant properties and coriander can help control blood sugar levels. Why not give this healthy dish a try?
- 800g Chicken thigh, deboned and stripped of skin and cut into large pieces
- 200ml Plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 3 tsp Coriander powder (I used fresh coriander, cut finely)
- ¾ tsp Chicken powder (optional)
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 thumb size knob of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small Red onion, chopped
1 tsp Whole cumin seeds
- 3 Red chillies, seeded and cut into half (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- Skin the chicken pieces and cut off visible fat. Dry with paper towels. Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour yogurt over them. Add the spices and run well into the meat. Leave covered at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds and chillies to flavour the oil. When seeds pop, add chopped the chicken pieces and the rest of the marinade.
- Bring to boil, and then turn down the fire to cook slowly till chicken pieces are tender (about 30 mins). Do not be alarmed if the dish seems dry, as the chicken pieces will produce juices sufficient to form a thick gravy.
- Add salt to taste and serve with rice, bread or roti prata.