This Butter Matcha Mochi Cake is chewy, sticky and delicious with tropical flavour! It’s the easiest butter cake that I came across when I was surfing for beautiful picture on Pinterest. Just stir and bake. The original recipe is from Hawaiian butter mochi cake but you can make any flavour by adding cocoa or matcha powder and I added coconut flakes on top. The main ingredients are glutinous rice flour, fresh milk and coconut milk. This gluten free cake texture is entirely different from the traditional butter cake because of the glutinous rice flour (sticky flour) used. It is crusty on the outside but you can feel the soft bouncy texture after baked. Another surprise about the cake was it tasted like kueh lapis (steamed layer cake). You can keep the cake inside the fridge to chill for at least 5 days and reheat it in the toaster oven whenever you want (I kept the cake at room temperature for a day, then inside the fridge due to the hot weather). The cake texture will still stay chewy and soft but the top will lose its crispiness. If you like you like mochi cake you may like to give this a try.
Butter Matcha Mochi Cake ~ crusty on the outside but you can feel the soft bouncy texture after baked
Butter Matcha Mochi Cake
- 250 g glutinous rice flour
- 1.5 tbsp matcha powder (sifted) - optional
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml fresh milk
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 g salted butter - melted
- fresh coconut flakes - optional
- Line brownie pan with baking paper and set aside. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl, combine glutinous rice flour, matcha powder, baking powder and sugar together and mix well, set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk, coconut milk and vanilla extract, stir well. Then add melted butter and mix thoroughly well to combine.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture (step 2 to step 3). Mix well with a hand whisk till mixture is smooth and runny.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Then scatter some coconut flakes on top.
- Bake in preheated oven (middle rack) for about 45 minutes or until the crust is formed at the sides of the cake. Test the cake with a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cover the cake loosely with aluminum foil after about 30 minutes of baking, so the coconut flakes will not getting brown too quickly.
- Cool cake in pan. Then cut cake with an oiled knife.
- Do not add too much coconut flakes on top of batter before baking. This is due to heavy coconut flakes will sink to the bottom. Take out cake pan from the oven after about 10 minutes of baking when the top is semi-set. Then sprinkle more coconut flakes on top of cake and continue baking.
- Do get a crusty bite on the cake, do not cover with aluminum foil if you didn't top with coconut flakes.
- 250克 糯米粉
- 1.5汤匙 抹茶粉 （过筛），可不放
- 1茶匙 泡打粉 （发粉）
- 110克 细砂糖
- 2个 大鸡蛋
- 240毫升 牛奶
- 200毫升 椰浆
- 1茶匙 香草香精
- 60克 融化牛油 （含盐）
- 我的蛋糕放在温室一个晚上，因为天气炎热就收进冰箱冷藏 （可保存5天）。想吃的时候就放进小烤箱加热。虽然表层不脆了，但蛋糕还是软Q。值得一试喔！