Making this refreshing Red Bean Ice Cream or Popsicles is easy peasy with only 4 ingredients. They are perfect to enjoy with your family at home. You don’t need an ice cream machine to churn the mixture. The inspiration for making this yummy sweet treat in a healthier version came from Youtube. I saw many recipes using corn starch, glutinous rice flour or tapioca flour and milk. So I tried with coconut water instead of milk. In fact I made this red bean ice cream twice. Firstly I followed the recipe by soaking the red beans overnight and boiled them till tender for an hour the next day. The red bean ice cream looks pretty with the studded red beans. Then for the second batch to save time, I just boiled the red beans straight in the pressure cooker for about 20-25 minutes without pre-soaking.
- Using Pressure Cooker 用高压锅煮红豆:
- Rinse red beans a few times under running water and drain well (no need to pre-soak red beans). Boil the red beans and water to required pressure then turn to medium low heat. Cook red beans for about 20-25 minutes. Turn off heat, allow pressure to come down naturally, about 15 minutes. Drain well red bean water and set aside. Then follow step 3 to 5 in the recipe to make the red bean ice cream.
Red Bean Ice Cream
- 100 g red bean (adzuki beans)
- 250 g coconut light water (Ayam brand) - or milk
- 85 g caster sugar
- 20 g glutinous rice flour
- Rinse well red beans under running water a few times. Then soak red beans with water overnight in the fridge.
- Rinse red beans again and drain well. Place red beans into pot with about 800ml water and bring to boil. Then lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes till red beans are tender (I boiled it for 60 minutes as I prefer the red beans in softer stage). Drain well and set aside.
- Pour coconut light water and sugar into pot and stir together till sugar dissolved. Stir in glutinous flour with a hand whisk until smooth.
- At medium heat bring mixture to a boil. Then turn to low heat and stir mixture for about 3 minutes till thickened and smooth. Pour in the red beans and mix well. Off heat.
- Transfer the red bean mixture into ice cream mould and place them in the freezer at least 4 hours or overnight.
- You may also use leftover cooked red beans from your red bean dessert soup to make this ice cream.
- 100克 红豆
- 250克 椰子水 （Ayam牌子）或牛奶
- 85克 砂糖
- 20克 糯米粉
- 从冰箱取出红豆再冲洗一遍沥干水分，将红豆放入锅中和800毫升水煮滚，然后盖上盖小火煮约40分钟至红豆变软 （我喜欢红豆更软就煮了60分钟），沥干水分备用。