Prepare Durian Ice Cream
2 Triangle moulds (line with plastic sheet)
300g Fresh durian, mash with a spoon or fork
1.5L Durian ice cream (Magnolia brand)
200g Fresh topping cream
6 Gelatin leaf (optional)
- Take out ice cream from freezer and leave at room temperature (about 5 mins) before you start to whip the fresh cream.
- Soak gelatin leaf in cold water about 30 seconds, allowing it to soften. Remove from water and gently squeeze well. Under double boiler, allow the gelatin to melt and stir well. Once it melted, remove from heat, cool down melted gelatin to a little warm. Whisk fresh cream and add gelatin into it. Whisk fresh cream till very stiff.
- Add durian ice cream into it, mix at medium speed for about 30 seconds then add mashed durian fold well with a hand a rubber spatula.
- Pour the durian ice cream into prepared mould. Then wrap it up with the plastic sheet and put in freezer for several hours or till next day.
Sponge Cake (for one cake tray only)
1 tbsp Durian puree
- Prepare a 12 x 12 inch baking tray, line with parchment paper or baking sheet, grease some oil on it with a brush.
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, cooking oil and fresh milk together with a hand whisk, add durian puree, mix well and add in sifted flour, mix well again, set aside.
- Whisk egg white to foamy and add sugar, continue to whisk egg white to smooth peak form at medium speed.
- Then fold 1/3 of the egg white to the egg yolk mixture, fold well with a rubber spatula and fold in the remaining egg white.
- Take out about 150ml mixture into a small bowl, add 2-3 tsp chocolate paste and mix well and pour chocolate mixture into a piping bag.
- Pour plain mixture into a 12 x 12 inch baking tray. Level the surface, pipe chocolate line over it and use a skewer and drag line or create your own pattern.
- Gently knock the tray on table top to remove air bubbles trapped in the batter.
- Bake at 170C for 15 minutes.
- Remove sponge cake from baking tray and place on wire rack to cool down completely
- Place the sponge cake (choc line facing down) on a plastic sheet, carefully remove the baking sheet then place the frozen ice cream on top (place at the side of the sponge cake) and roll it up.
- Trim off the excess sponge cake with a knife.
- Wrap ice cream roll with plastic sheet and store in freezer for few hours.