This Durian Swiss Roll is not only light and fluffy but with a generous filling of rich durian cream which is a great treat to all durian lovers. The whole cake is full of durian fragrance. It is an easy and quick recipe to prepare at home. I used frozen durian that I had kept in a tub in my freezer for about 2 weeks ago as I wanted to use it for my baking. In the chiffon cake (or sponge cake) recipe, I added 2 tablespoons of durian puree in the batter to enhance the flavour in the cake. Baking the sponge cake in a baking tray is relatively short, about 15 minutes. Preparing the durian filling is easy peasy too. No sugar or gelatin needed, just puree the durian and mix with non-dairy whipping cream. As the durian filling is quite soft, it is better to freeze it for about 15-20 minutes before spreading on to the sponge cake. Chill the cake for at least 2 hours before enjoying this exotic sweet treat with your loved ones.
This article may feature affiliate links, and purchases made may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you
Durian Swiss Roll
- 4 egg yolks - used large eggs
- 60 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp durian puree
- 35 ml coconut milk - or fresh milk
- 35 ml corn oil
- 50 g cake flour/plain flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour (starch)
- 4 egg whites
- 50 g sugar
- 250 g durian flesh
- 120 g non dairy whipping cream
- Preheat oven temperature to 180 deg C. Sift cake flour and corn flour into a bowl, mix well and set aside. Line 10 x 11 or 10 x 12 inch baking tray lined with parchment paper. Puree durian flesh till fine in a blender (add 2 tbsp to step 2), cover with cling wrap and place inside the refrigerator for later use.
- Combine egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of durian puree and sugar in another bowl, mix well. Add milk mix well followed by corn oil and blend well. Sift in flour mixture the second time into egg mixture and stir well.
- Make meringue - Beat egg whites until foamy. Then add sugar mixture in 3 separate rounds beat until egg whites are glossy, with stiff peaks.
- Fold ⅓ of egg whites into the yolk mixture with a rubber spatula. Then pour in the remaining egg whites, gently fold until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared tray and spread out with a rubber spatula. Gently tap the tray to release air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan immediately after baked. Then remove the parchment paper and leave to cool.
- Whisk dairy whipping cream to stiff peaks and fold into the remaining durian puree. Place durian filling in the freezer to thicken a little for about 15-20 minutes for easy spreading on cake.
- Place sponge cake (can use either side) on a plastic sheet or parchment paper (with a dry cloth placing beneath the plastic sheet to prevent slip while rolling up the cake).
- Fold well durian filling again and spread on top of the cake. Gently roll up the sponge cake to make a Swiss roll and chill it to set for at least 2 hours before serving. **I piped some durian filling leftover on cake as deco before serving**
榴莲蛋糕卷 Durian Swiss Roll
- 4个 蛋黄 （用大鸡蛋）
- 60克 细砂糖
- 2 汤匙 榴莲泥
- 35毫升 椰奶或牛奶
- 35毫升 玉米油
- 50克 底筋面粉或中筋面粉
- 2汤匙 玉米淀粉
- 4个 蛋白
- 50克 细砂糖
- 250克 榴莲肉
- 120克 植物性奶油
- 预热烤箱致摄氏180度。面粉和玉米淀粉一起过筛到一个碗里，备用。准备1个10 x 11或 10 x 12寸长方型烤盘 ，底部铺纸。将榴莲肉在打碎机里打成泥状（拿出2汤匙到步骤2），然后盖上保鲜膜放入冰箱备用。
- 将蛋黄，2汤匙榴莲泥和细糖混合均匀。加入椰奶和玉米油，搅拌均匀。再筛入粉类, 搅拌均匀即可。
- 蛋白霜 – 用搅拌机把蛋白打致起泡泡，细砂糖分3次加入，打致硬性发泡。
- 将面糊倒入烤盘中用刮刀抹平，轻轻的敲出气泡。放入预热烤箱烤约15钟 （*也要根据自己的烤箱温度而定）。蛋糕烤好后，立刻把蛋糕取出，倒扣撕掉底部烤纸，待凉。
- 打发植物性奶油至硬性发泡，拌入到剩余的榴莲泥里，用橡皮刮刀翻拌均匀即可。然后放进冰格处冷冻15-20分钟至浓稠一点 （因为榴莲馅蛮软的，冷冻后比较容易涂在蛋糕上）。