My Indonesian friend, Suhadi from Instagram recently shared her favourite popular recipe, Rica Rica, with me. According to some Indonesian food websites Rica Rica is a speciality from the city of Manado in North Sulawesi, and is a type of hot and spicy sauce with the tangy taste of lime and lemongrass. It’s easy and quick to cook and takes less than 30 minutes. This Ayam (chicken) can be pre-cooked and placed on the grill and served with the rica rica (the spicy sauce). You can also simmer the chicken until fully cooked if you prefer. I have most of the ingredients growing in my backyard and all I had to buy was the chicken and tomatoes. I tried this recipe last weekend and my family gave their thumbs up! It was a really delicious dish that everyone loved. I hope you try it out! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as much as we did. You can add more chillies if you want a spicier rica rica sauce. Here is the recipe made with kids in mind so they should enjoy this too.
Ayam (chicken) Rica Rica
- 4 large chicken thighs - about 1kg or 1 whole chicken, cut chunk
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 small fresh tomatoes - (used 3) cut into small pieces
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves - thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemon grass - take the white part only, bruised
- 2 stalks basil leaves - used Thai basil leaves
- salt and sugar to taste - added 1/2 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp sugar
- 200 ml water
- 10 red chillies - used 5 chillies
- 5 bird's eyes chillies
- 5 shallots
- 15 g ginger
- Cut chicken thigh into half. Marinate with some salt and lime juices for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Cut spice ingredients into pieces and blend to paste.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons cooking oil in a wok over medium heat and saute the spice paste until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, kaffir lime leaves, basil leaves, lemon grass, salt, sugar and 200ml water. Add chicken thighs and bring to boil. Then lower heat, cover with a lid and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until chicken thighs are cooked and spice sauce thickened. Dish out and serve immediately.
recipe from Tasty Indonesian Food
- 4个 大鸡腿 （约1kg）或一只鸡，斩大块
- 2汤匙 酸柑汁
- 2粒 小番茄，切小 （我用了3粒）
- 2片 酸柑叶，切丝
- 1根 香茅，只要白部分，拍一拍
- 2根 羅勒叶
- 盐和糖适量 （我加了1/2茶匙盐和1.5茶匙糖）
- 200毫升 清水
- 10条 大红辣椒 （我用5条）
- 5条 小辣椒
- 5粒 红葱头
- 15克 姜
- 加入番茄，酸柑叶丝，香茅, 羅勒叶，盐，糖和200毫升水。放入鸡块一起煮滚。然后换小火盖上锅盖焖煮20-30分钟至鸡块熟及辣酱汁浓稠即可享用。也可以把鸡肉煮到半熟，然后烧烤。鸡肉烤熟后配上酱汁。
- 为了让家里的小孩也能享受这道美味的香辣鸡，食谱做了一些调整。 喜欢吃辣的朋友可以多加辣椒。