This Or Nee (yam paste) puff is quick to make with only few ingredients. It is not time consuming to cook the or nee with purple sweet potato. Just steam them together for about 30 minutes to soften and then mash them up. Then put them into the food processor to blend till fine and then pan fry with sugar and oil for about 10 mininutes. I wrapped the or nee with leftover puff pastry (a fusion of east meets west) that was still sitting in the freezer since I made the Salmon Puff Pastry that I shared the recipe with you two weeks ago. In fact you can also make this Or Nee (yam paste) for the snowskin mooncake too. Anyway, you can pre-make the Or nee puffs and store them in the freezer and bake as and when required or grab to go.
A wonderful Chinese snack Or Nee (yam Paste) puffs to serve at anytime of the day
Or Nee (yam paste) Puffs
- 550 g Chinese yam aka Taro
- 150 g purple sweet potato
- 180 g caster sugar
- 100 g corn oil any vegetable oil
- 1 packed frozen puff pastry thaw pastry in chiller for a few hour before use, only need 4 large sheets
- 1 beaten egg egg wash
- Slice yam and purple sweet potato without skin on into small pieces and place in a steamer, steam for about 30 minutes or until soft.
- Use a masher to mash the yam and sweet potato together. Then transfer them to the food processor while hot and blend until fine.
- In a heated non stick frying pan, pour in blended yam mixture together with sugar and oil. Turn to low heat and continue to stir for 10 minutes until the yam mixture becomes smooth. Dish up and leave to cool.
- Place puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured table top and use a pizza cutter to cut pastry sheet into 4 equal square sheets.
- Put yam filling (about 2-3 tablespoons) on pastry sheet leaving enough border so that it can be folded over and sealed. Then use fork press down the edges to seal the border.
- Place the or nee puffs on a lined baking tray and egg wash the tops of each puff .
- Bake in preheated oven at 200C for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 550克 芋头
- 150克 紫薯
- 180克 细砂糖
- 100克 栗米油
- 4片 冷冻酥皮，（放在冷藏室解冻数小时-只需4大片）
- 1粒 鸡蛋，打撒