This soft and moist Purple Sweet Potato Cake Roll is considered as a delicious healthy dessert treat for everyone at home. The nutritious purple sweet potato filling has no dairy cream, is utterly soft and smooth with a combination of coconut milk and honey. This is another Tropical twist cake roll in addition to the one (Coconut Pandan Cake Roll) that I had shared with you on my blog two months ago. As usual, the sponge cake can be done and baked within 20 minutes (you can find the step by step pictures over here for on how to make the sponge cake). The recipe for the filling is super easy to follow. You just need to steam the sweet potatoes till soft, then mash and blend the mixture finely before rolling it up with the sponge cake. Then chill the Purple Sweet Potato Cake Roll in the refrigerator for a few hours before slicing it to enjoy.
Sweet potatoes come in a variety of sizes and colors — including orange, white, and purple — and are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Read about the health benefits from here
Purple Sweet Potato Cake Roll
- 4 egg yolks
- 60 g caster sugar
- 80 g mashed purple sweet potato
- 40 ml coconut milk Kara brand
- 50 ml corn oil
- 60 g cake flour or plain flour
- 20 g corn flour (starch)
- 4 egg whites
- 30 g caster sugar
Purple sweet potato filling
- 800 g purple sweet potato
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 4 tbsp honey
- 70 ml corn oil
- pinch of salt
- Steam purple sweet potato with skin on till very soft, for about 30-40 minutes. Drain the excess water and remove skin.
- Place the cooked sweet potatoes in the food processor to blend to fine and smooth. Then then weigh 550g potatoes for the filling and 80g in the batter.
- Filling - Place the 550g sweet potato, coconut milk, honey, salt and corn oi in a food processor again and blend to fine and smooth, side aside and leave cool.
- Sponge cake - Preheat oven at 170 deg C. Line 10 x 11 or 10 x 12 inch, lined baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar and 80g sweet potato paste, stir well with a hand whisk. Add in coconut milk and oil into egg mixture, stir well. Sift in cake flour and corn flour, mix well again, set aside.
- Whisk egg whites till frothy, gradually add in the sugar in batches. Continue beating till egg whites till peaks form.
- Add ⅓ of the egg whites into the egg mixture, fold well with a rubber spatula. Then gently fold in the rest of egg whites till combined.
- Pour batter into prepared tray and spread out with a rubber spatula. Gently tap the tray to release air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven and bake for about 16-18 minutes. Remove cake from pan, remove the parchment paper and leave to cool.
- Spread the sweet potato filling on sponge cake. Gently roll up the sponge cake to make a Swiss roll and chill it for a few hours before serving.
- Fill the remaining sweet potato filling into a piping bag with nozzle tip #1M and pipe on cake. Place the roll cake back to the fridge and chill for 1 - 2 hours before serving.
- 4个 鸡蛋黄
- 60克 细砂糖
- 80克 紫薯泥
- 40毫升 椰奶
- 50毫升 栗米油
- 60克 底筋或中筋面粉
- 20克 栗米粉
- 4个 蛋白
- 30克 细砂糖
- 800克 紫薯 （只须要550克做馅料和80克加入蛋糊里）
- 4汤匙 椰奶
- 4汤匙 蜂蜜
- 70毫升 栗米油
- 紫薯泥馅料 – 把550克薯泥再放入料理机和椰奶，蜂蜜，盐及栗米油再搅打至顺滑，待凉备用。
- 预热烤箱摄氏170度。准备1个10 x11寸或10×12长方形烤盘，底部铺纸。
- 海绵蛋糕 – 蛋黄，细糖及80克紫薯泥（用手动打蛋器）混合均匀。然后加入椰奶和栗米油到蛋黄混合物里，再拌匀。最后筛入面粉，再搅拌均匀即可。
- 蛋白霜 –将蛋白打致起泡泡，细砂糖分次加入，打致硬发泡（不要打的太干）。
- 面糊倒入预备烤盘中抹平，轻轻的敲出气泡。放入预热烤箱烤约16-18分钟 （*也要根据自己的烤箱温度而定）。蛋糕烤好后，立刻把蛋糕取出，倒扣撕掉底部烤纸，待凉。