These fruit cakes look lovely due to the natural pink colour of the red dragon fruit (Pitaya) on the top of the cakes, after being baked. The recipe is as usual very easy to follow and can be sent into the oven after a few minutes of mixing. As dragon fruit doesn’t have much taste, some lemon juice and vanilla extract are added into the batter to enhance the flavour. These red dragon fruit cakes are soft and spongy and are great to serve as tea cake at any time of the day.
- 3 large eggs
- 70g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 20g fresh milk
- 50g dragon fruit
- 30g corn oil
- 120g cake flour/plain flour, sifted
- Preheat oven at 150 deg C. Grease muffin pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- Blend fresh milk and dragon fruit to smooth and add corn oil into it, blend well again.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract at high speed till thick and fluffy, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Sieve the flour into the egg mixtures the second time in 2 portions until combined at low speed, Then use a rubber spatula to fold well the batter.
- Lastly stir the dragon fruit puree mixture again before pouring it into the batter and fold well with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan and gently tap the pan to release air bubbles. Then bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Release the small cakes from muffin pan once it is out of the oven.
Recipe adapted from here with some adjustments
- 3个 大鸡蛋 （约210克）
- 70克 细砂糖
- 1茶匙 香草香精
- 1茶匙 柠檬汁
- 20克 鲜奶
- 50克 火龙果肉
- 30克 玉米油
- 120克 低筋面粉/中筋面粉，过筛