Borscht soup is a popular soup in Eastern Europe and many versions of Borscht Soup recipes (罗宋汤) can be found online. It is a healthy vegetable sour soup usually made with beetroot. Beef and beef bones are also one of the main ingredients. There are many Chinese who do not take beef, so pork ribs or leftover roasted pork can be used instead to deepen the flavour. The recipe takes only about an hour or a little longer to simmer for the vegetables to contribute all the flavours in the soup. I love Borscht Soup and cooked this sour tasty delicious soup without beetroot and beef bone, as I can’t find any of these in the supermarket. I served this hearty soup as a one-pot meal with bread.
- 500 g brisket - cut to chunk
- half cabbage - about 300g, cut to pieces not too small
- 2 potatoes - about 150g, peeled and cut to small pieces
- 1 large onion - shredded
- 2 sticks celery - cut to pieces
- 4 large tomatoes - 450g, cut to wedges
- 3 carrots - 150g, cut to thick pieces
- 1 tbsp garlic - chop finely
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 - 2.2 litre water - or beef broth
- Blanch beef in boiling water and drain well.
- Heat pot with some oil and sear the beef on all sides with a dash of black pepper.
- Then add in all the ingredients except bay leaves, tomato paste and water. Fry the vegetables well for two minutes. Add in bay leaves, tomato paste and water, stir well and bring vegetables to boil.
- Then cover with lid and simmer at medium low heat for about an hour or till beef and vegetables become soft. Lastly add some salt to taste and serve hot immediately.
- 用大量的蔬菜就能做出 酸中带甜的健康罗宋汤，再配上面包就能享受一道营养丰富的主食。
- 500克 牛腩，斩块状
- 半个 高丽菜 （约300克），切片状，不要切太小
- 2个 马铃薯，削皮，切小块状
- 1粒 大洋葱，切丝
- 2根 西芹， 切小
- 4粒 大番茄 （450克），切瓣
- 3条 胡萝卜，切块状
- 1汤匙 蒜蓉
- 2片 月桂叶
- 1小罐 番茄酱
- 2 – 2.2公升 水 （或用牛肉高汤）