This Steamed Chinese Pumpkin Cake is a common snack in China. You can easily find them selling in the food street. It’s actually a very simple healthy plain steamed cake using pumpkin puree, flour, milk and dry yeast. What you do is just combine the pumpkin puree and the remaining ingredients together and let the dough to proof for about 20-30 minutes to double volume, no kneading required. Then bring the pumpkin cake to steam for 30 minutes. The steamed cake is soft and moist especially when served warm. You can place the remaining pumpkin cake in the fridge and re-steam it the next day for morning breakfast.
Steamed Chinese Pumpkin Cake
- 210 g pumpkin - without skin
- 300 g plain flour
- 80 g caster sugar
- 5 g dry yeast - about 2 teaspoons
- 210 g fresh milk
- some raisins for topping
- Cut pumpkin to chunk and steam to soft for about 15 minutes. Mash cooked pumpkin with a fork while it is still hot.
- Blend mashed pumpkin, milk and sugar till fine paste.
- Add dry yeast and flour into pumpkin mixture, fold well a hand whisk or rubber spatula to form a smooth dough.
- Pour batter into a round lined pan (grease a 8 inch round pan sides) and let it rest to double volume, about 20-30 minutes, add some raisins on top and place it in steaming wok.
- Turn the fire to high and bring water to boil and steam pumpkin cake for 30 minutes. Off heat and let pumpkin cake sit inside the steaming wok for another 5-10 minutes. Remove cake from pan after slightly cool down and serve.
蒸南瓜糕 Steamed Chinese Pumpkin Cake
- 210克 南瓜 （去了皮）
- 300克 中筋面粉
- 80克 细砂糖
- 2茶匙 干酵母
- 230克 牛奶
- 然后将南瓜混合物倒入一个8寸蛋糕烤盘（底部铺纸旁边抹油），抹平。静置（在温室）约20-30分钟或发酵到2倍大（**也可以放入蒸炉内静置），在表面撒上葡萄干, 放入蒸锅内。