French Butter Biscuits or Cookies (Galette Bretonne or Breton Biscuit, Sablés) are originated from France, region of Brittany. These classic French biscuits are buttery and slightly salted not really crispy but fragrant and crumbly. A perfect snack for a cup of tea or coffee. The traditional shape of these biscuits is round, brushed with egg wash and then scored with a criss-cross pattern on top. The egg wash gives the cookies a shiny appearance after baking. They are easily made with butter (use good butter), icing sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, plain flour, almond powder (ground almond) and baking powder. The original recipe of the French Butter Cookies are made plain with good butter, does not have ground almond and vanilla extract but I adapted the recipe from 小红书 which I recently came across.
This article may feature affiliate links, and purchases made may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you
French Butter Biscuits
- 80 g unsalted butter, softened - I used Lurpak butter
- 40 g icing sugar - sifted
- 1 small lightly beaten egg yolk - about 16g
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g plain flour
- 25 g super fine almond powder (ground flour) - easy to sift
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk + 1/4 tsp water - mix well, egg wash
- Cream butter and icing sugar together till combined.
- Then add beaten egg yolk in 2 batches, use rubber spatula to blend well after each addition followed by vanilla extract.
- Sieve in flour, baking powder, almond powder and salt. Fold well with a rubber spatula to become a soft sticky dough.
- Place dough in between a plastic sheet and roll flat to about 4mm thickness and place inside the freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Cut out the dough by using cookie cutter (4.5cm dia) and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place the whole tray of cut cookies inside the freezer for another 10 minutes.
- Lightly brush the biscuits with egg wash twice, then with a fork to draw criss-cross lines on top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for about 15 mins or until golden brown.
- Leave biscuits to cool on wire rack and store in airtight container.
法式奶油饼干 French Butter Biscuits
- 80克 无盐软奶油（牛油）， (Lurpak牌）
- 40克 糖粉，过筛
- 1粒 蛋黄，打撒，约16克
- 1/4茶匙 香草香精
- 100克 中筋面粉
- 25克 杏仁粉，我用特细的杏仁粉，比较好过筛
- 1/8茶匙 泡打粉
- 1/4茶匙 盐
- 1粒 蛋黄+1/2茶匙水，混匀 – 刷面
- 将面团放在隔在两张塑纸间杆成约 4mm之厚片，收进冰格处冷冻约15-20分钟左右至凝固。
- 用模具压出形状(4.5cm直径)摆在烤盘上- 底部铺纸。再把整个烤盘带饼干再收进冰格处约10分钟。