Have a look at this Patterned Swiss Roll that I had made over the weekend. Don’t you think it’s pretty? It is very easy to make this impressive delicious Swiss roll with a piece of stencil. In fact this type of patterned stencil had been very popular years ago and came in many designs and they can be ordered online. I bought mine from Taobao months ago. The ingredients for making the pattern are very simple, with only a quick mixing to form a soft dough. You may like to add some colour like beetroot powder, cocoa powder or matcha powder to mix into the ingredients. Then spread it evenly directly on top of the stencil with a tray. The dough should be thick enough when spreading, otherwise it’ll not stick to the cake or crack after baking. Gently remove the stencil and place the whole tray into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to set. This ensures that when you pour the batter the pattern stays intact. Making the sponge cake is a normal chiffon cake recipe (you may refer to the step by step tutorial for making Swiss Roll here). Note: try to spread the batter on top of the pattern quickly as you don’t want to mess up the pattern.
The Patterned Swiss Roll is soft and moist as I only whipped up some fresh cream and folded in a few tablespoons of yuzu jam as filling. It only takes about an hour to complete the cake including baking time. Then chill the cake to set for a few hours or overnight before consuming.
This article may feature affiliate links, and purchases made may earn us a commission at no extra cost to you
Sponge cake – you may refer to the step by step tutorial for making Swiss Roll from here
Patterned Swiss Roll
Patterned ingredients (stencil - 10 x 10 inch)
- 30 g soft butter
- 30 g icing sugar
- 30 g egg white
- 30 g cake flour or plain flour
- 1 tbsp beetroot powder - cocoa powder or matcha powder
- 4 egg yolks - used large eggs
- 70 g caster sugar
- 30 ml fresh milk
- 30 ml corn oil/vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 70 g cake flour or plain flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour (starch)
- 4 egg whites
- 50 g caster sugar
- 120 g non diary fresh whipping cream
- 3-4 tbsp yuzu jam
- Sieve flour and beetroot powder together into a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Blend butter and icing sugar with a rubber spatula until combined. Add in egg white and fold the mixture again.
- Lastly add in the flour mixture, fold well again to become a soft dough.
- Place stencil on a 11 x 11 square tray (lined with non stick baking paper).
- Spread the soft dough on top and spread evenly over the stencil. **the soft dough should be thick, otherwise it'll not stick to the cake or crack after baking.
- Gently lift up and remove the stencil. Place the whole tray inside the freezer to chill for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, vanilla extract, sugar, fresh milk and corn oil together with a hand whisk, mix well. Sieve in flour and corn flour the second time, mix well again.
- Meringue - Whisk egg whites to foamy and add sugar in 3-4 batches (low speed), continue to whisk egg white to glossy and peaks form at medium speed.
- Add ⅓ of the egg whites into the egg mixture, fold well with a rubber spatula. Then gently fold in the rest of egg whites till combined.
- Pour batter oven frozen pattern and spread evenly with a spatula. Gently tap the tray to release air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan, remove the parchment paper and leave to cool.
- Place sponge cake (pattern facing down) on a plastic sheet or parchment paper (with a dry cloth placing beneath the parchment paper to prevent slip while rolling the cake).
- Whisk fresh topping cream to peak form and mix with 3-4 tablespoons of yuzu.
- Gently roll up the sponge cake to make a Swiss roll and chill it for a few hours or overnight.
- Trim the sides of the cake roll before serving.
- Reusable non stick baking paper - can be ordered from here or at local baking supply stores.
- Pattern ingredients (step 5) - the dough should be thick enough when spreading, otherwise it’ll not stick to the cake or crack after baking
- Sponge cake (step 4) - try to spread the batter on top of the pattern quickly as you don’t want to mess up the pattern.
- Please keep in mind that all oven temperatures and baking time varies
材料：彩绘蛋糕图案一片 （10 x 10 寸）
- 4个 蛋黄 （大鸡蛋）
- 70克 细砂糖
- 30毫升 牛奶
- 30毫升 玉米油
- 1茶匙 香草香精
- 70克 低筋或中筋面粉
- 1汤匙 玉米淀粉
- 4个 蛋白
- 50克 细砂糖
- 120克 植物性鲜奶油 – 打发
- 3-4 汤匙 柚子茶果酱或适量
- 彩绘过程 ~ 将面粉和甜菜根粉一起过筛到碗里，备用。
- 将图案放在11 x 11寸方形烤盘上，底部铺上油布。
- 海绵蛋糕 – 用手动打蛋器将蛋黄，细糖，牛奶和油混合均匀。面粉和玉米淀粉（第二次）筛入，再搅拌均匀即可。
- 蛋白霜 – 用电动打蛋器（低速度）把蛋白打致起泡泡，细砂糖分次加入，然后用中速度将蛋白打致硬性发泡。
- 放入预热烤箱摄氏180度烤约13分钟左右 （*也根据要自己的烤箱温度而定）。
- **彩绘过程(步骤5 )- 涂抹图案 -**不要涂的太薄，否则烤好的蛋糕，图案会脱离或裂开**
- **海绵蛋糕(步骤 10) – 面糊倒在冷冻好的图案的时候，要小心的尽快把图案抹平，否则图案会融化条。
- 彩绘蛋糕图案 – 是在淘宝买的