This baked honey cheesecake is a popular dessert from Taiwan and was shared among many bakers on Facebook baking group recently. The main version is to bake a soft sponge cake and then freeze the cake a day ahead, then top with cheddar cheese cream mixture the next day. After searching the recipe online, I baked a cheese sponge cake and was happy that the cake turned out well with the cheddar cheese topping. The cake is light and not very sweet but fragrant with a hint of honey and savoury with the cheese topping. This cake can be kept in the refrigerator for 4 days in an airtight container.
Honey Baked Cheesecake
- 250 g cream cheese room temperature
- 2.5 tbsp corn oil
- 35 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 100 ml fresh milk
- 40 g self-raising flour
- 10 g corn flour (starch)
- 3 egg yolks used large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 25 g caster sugar
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 50 g dairy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp honey
- Place cheese ingredients in a bowl under double boiler and stir mixture till melted. Then pass mixture through a sieve into a large bowl.
- Sift self-raising flour and corn flour into cheese mixture. Stir and add egg yolks and mix to combine.
- Meringue - whisk egg whites until frothy at low speed. Add sugar sugar and whisk from medium speed to high speed until peak form.
- Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the cheese batter with a rubber spatula. Then pour in the remaining egg whites, gently fold the mixture again until just combined.
- Pour batter into a 7 inch removable cake pan (wrap the cake pan with aluminium foil to prevent seepage) and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
- Steam bake cake at preheat oven 120 deg C for 20 minutes. Then increase oven temperature to 160 deg C and bake for another 40 minutes.
- Run knife around rim of pan so that the cake will not get a waist line. Leave cake to cool completely and place the whole cake in pan, covered with aluminium foil in the freezer overnight. (The cheesecake will shrink as it cools)
- Take cheesecake out from the freezer and upside down the cake. Then start to cook the topping cream.
- Topping - Melt the topping ingredients in a double boiler, stir till smooth and pour on top of the cheesecake. Then spread the topping cream quickly (the topping cream must be very hot as it'll set quickly). Never mind about the uneven spreading, as the topping will melts during baking.
- Place the whole cake in the preheated oven at 180 deg C and bake for about 20 minutes or till the topping cream melted and turn brown at the sides.
- This cake can be served in room temperature or chill in refrigerator before serving.
- 250克 芝士奶酪
- 2汤匙 玉米油
- 35克 细砂糖
- 2汤匙 蜂蜜
- 100毫升 牛奶
- 40克 自发面粉
- 10克 玉米粉
- 3粒 蛋黄 （用大鸡蛋）
- 3粒 蛋白
- 25克 细砂糖
- 3片 芝打达 (cheddar cheese)
- 2汤匙 玉米油
- 50克 植物性奶油
- 1汤匙 蜂蜜
- 蛋白霜 - 蛋白搅打致泡沫细腻的状态。加入细糖，继续搅打硬性发泡（从中速到高速）。
- 烤好的蛋糕用刀子刮边缘，这样蛋糕就不会呈现出腰围了。待凉后连蛋糕盘 （盖上锡纸）一起放入冰格处冰冻至隔夜。(蛋糕待凉后会有些回缩 )
- 表面淋酱 - 用隔水方式煮淋酱搅拌至融化至滑。然后马上把淋酱倒在芝士蛋糕上（淋酱须煮到很热才容易铺在蛋糕上），没铺平整也无所谓，因为在烘烤的时候面淋酱即将融化。