Prune Butter Cake 西梅牛油蛋糕
This Prune Butter Cake is very fragrant, dense but the texture is not very dry. This cake is simply delicious and can be served warm or completely cooled. The pitted prunes are soaked in Rum and simmered till the prunes have absorbed the liqueur, thus giving a nice aroma to the cake. Even in the process of baking, your kitchen smells great too and the smell lingers.
This prune butter cake is simply delicious and can be served warm or completely cooled, perfect to serve for any occasions.
Prune Butter Cake
- 150 g butter - softened
- 125 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs - about 170g without shells
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp rum liqueur - or use brandy
- 170 g cake flour or plain flour - sift together with baking powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp fresh milk
- 100 g dried pitted prunes
- 3.5 tbsp rum liqueur - or use brandy, 50ml
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Soaked pitted prunes in 3.5 tablespoons of rum liqueur and 1 tablespoon of sugar for about an hour. Then simmer prunes over low heat for about 5 minutes until prunes swelled. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Reserve 6 pieces pitted prunes for topping and cut the remaining pitted prunes into small pieces.
- Line a 7 inch round cake pan with parchment paper at the bottom and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
- Cream butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add beaten eggs little by little, combine the egg mixture well after each addition. Add lemon juice, vanilla extract and rum liqueur and mix well again.
- Sift the flour and baking powder the second time directly to the egg mixture and gently fold well with a rubber spatula. Then add 2 tablespoons fresh milk into it and fold the batter to smooth. Throw in the prunes pieces and fold evenly.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan, smooth the top and place whole pitted prunes over it. Bake in preheated oven at 190 deg C for 10 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 170 deg C and bake for another 30-40 minutes or skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then remove cake and place on wire rack to cool.
- 150 克 软牛油
- 120 克 细砂糖
- 3 个 大鸡蛋，打撒 （约170克不包括蛋壳）
- 1 茶匙 柠檬汁
- 1 茶匙 香草香精
- 2 汤匙 兰姆酒 （可用白兰地酒）
- 170 克 底筋或中筋面粉 （跟泡打粉一起过筛）
- 1 茶匙 泡打粉
- 2 汤匙 牛奶 （我用天然優格)
- 3.5 汤匙 兰姆酒 （50克）
- 1 汤匙 细砂糖
- 将西梅干，细糖和兰姆酒一起浸泡在碗里约一个小时。 然后用小火焖煮约5分钟至西梅干稍微涨大及差不多汁收干即可。保留6个酒渍好的西梅干（铺面），剩余的用剪刀煎小。
If i use an 8inch square or round cake tin do i need to increase the ingredients? Or will ure recipe work except that the cake will be lower in height? What is the time taken?
Hi Lilian, you can use a 8 inch round cake pan and adjust the recipe to 4 eggs. Baking time is about the same but you must monitor your oven in the last 10 minutes of baking.
Will the rest of the ingredients be increased as well as in the rum, prunes, butter, flour, milk etc proportionately to 4 eggs if using an 8 inch cake tin?
You have to adjust all the ingredients to 4 eggs.
Hi hv try the recipe turn out well..love the cake
Thank you for trying my recipe 🙂
Any substitute for rum & brandy since we xant xonsume them. Thks!
Hi Azlina, you can just omit the liqueur and cook the prunes with sugar.
How much cointreau do i use? Do i have to soak the prunes in cointreau and simmer them for 5mins?
Hi Pearlyn, You don’t need to soak the prunes with cointreau. Just add 3-4 tbsp of water with 1/2 tbsp of sugar and simmer the prunes to thicken. Then add 2 tbsp of cointreau instead of rum into the batter. Also add orange zest to enhance the flavour.
I dont have rum. Can i replsced with cointreau?
Hi Pearlyn, Yes, you can use cointreau if you prefer or use brandy.
This prune cake looks so delicious!! I’m definitely going to try it myself. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Prunes may not sound very interesting but they are very delicious in cakes!
looks yumm… I wonder if fresh plums would work instead of prunes 🙂
The rum soaked prunes must have given the butter cake some extra flavour. The cake looks super, Ann.
Ann, thank you for sharing your new recipe. Do have a safe and happy week ahead. Blessings …