What do you have in mind to cook for a simple lunch and with what is available in the kitchen pantry? Oh as usual, there are always leftovers like bak kwa (pork jerky) or meat floss from the Chinese New Year holidays. So I just made Luncheon Meat Bak Kwa Sushi. It is a perfect quick combo meal to enjoy at home or pack in the lunchbox to go. You just need to cook the rice in advance (best to use short grain rice as it’s more starchy and meant for making sushi) and then mix with blended bak kwa bits. You can also add some meat floss in the rice if you wish. Pan fry the luncheon meat (spam) with some sweet sauce. Then form the mixed rice like a small pillow and mould it inside the luncheon meat tin. The proportion of the mixed rice and luncheon meat is up to your own preference. Lastly wrap the mixed rice and luncheon meat with a piece of nori. So let’s enjoy this easy and delicious homemade sushi!
If you’re new to my blog and would like to receive new post update and never miss a recipe, please subscribe with your email address at follow.it (the subscribe box is at the sidebar or click at the following >> Anncoo Journal below the recipe). ~~ Thank you!
Luncheon Meat Bak Kwa Sushi
- 600 g cooked rice - I used short grain rice and wash 2 cups of rice
- 1 slice bak kwa (pork jerky) - about 50 grams
- 1 tin luncheon meat - any brand
- 6 pieces nori (seaweed) - or use square nori and cut into strips
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Remove luncheon meat from tin. Then wipe clean the inner side of the tin with kitchen towel and set aside.
- Cut luncheon meat into 6 or 8 slices, set aside. Stir well the sauce and set aside.
- Add some oil to the pan and fry the luncheon meat both sides till brown and off heat. Move the luncheon meat to one side of the pan and dap away the excess oil with kitchen paper.
- Heat pan again at low heat and brush enough sauce over the luncheon meat slices and flipping them over and over with the sauce until it coated and absorbed in the slices **as the sauce is quite sweet, is up to you to use it up all or not**. Dish up and set aside.
- Blend bak kwa (pork jerky) into bits. Then mix well into the hot cooked rice.
- Place a larger piece of cling wrap over the luncheon meat tin. Then add about 100g of cooked mixed (with pork jerky) rice into another piece of small cling wrap and twist it like a small pillow (so the rice will not stick to your hand while handling). Then press the rice down into the tin and covered up with cling wrap. Press the rice firmly by hand or a small rolling pin.
- Place a piece of nori over a clean sheet of cling wrap. Remove the press rice from the tin together with the cling wrap. Place it on top of the nori strip, followed by a piece of luncheon meat and wrap the nori over like a piece of sushi. Enjoy!
- 午餐肉肉干寿司 Luncheon Meat Bak Kwa Sushi
- 600克 米饭 （煮了2杯珍珠米）
- 1片 肉干，约50克
- 1盒午餐肉 （可用自己喜欢的牌子）
- 1汤匙 酱请
- 1汤匙 细砂糖
- 6张 海苔 （长条）或用方形剪成长条