Ever since I started making steamed chiffon cakes, I fell in love with it because it never fails to give me good result and the cake is always very light, moist and fluffy. As I said before the cake can be easily removed by hand after cooling down without any blemishes and there wasn’t any crusty side compared to oven baking. It will not crack or go out of shape after steaming. This time around, I added matcha powder for the aromatic flavour and created zebra stripes with cocoa powder to make the cake look more impressive. This Steamed Matcha Cake is definitely a healthy snack for anytime of the day and can be consumed even after chilling in the refrigerator overnight! It’s also perfect for grab to go or for your kids to bring to school to enjoy.
If you’re new to my blog and would like to receive new post update and never miss a recipe, please subscribe with your email address at follow.it (the subscribe box is at the sidebar or click at the following >> Anncoo Journal below the recipe). ~~ Thank you!
Steamed Matcha Cake
- 4 egg yolks - 65g with shell
- 65 g caster sugar
- 50 ml fresh milk
- 50 ml corn oil
- 50 g cake flour/plain flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour (starch)
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder - I used dark cocoa powder
- 4 egg whites
- 50 g caster sugar
- Boil a pot of water to boiling point, off heat and set aside. Wrap a 7 inch removable cake pan with aluminium foil to prevent water seeping through the pan while steaming (no need to grease the pan).
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in bowl, mix well with a hand whisk. Add milk, mix well followed by corn oil and blend well. Sift flours and matcha powder into the egg mixture and stir well.
- Take 5 tablespoons out from the matcha batter into another bowl. Then sieve in 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, mix well and set aside.
- Make meringue - Whisk egg whites to foamy, add sugar in 3 separate round and whisk to peak forms.
- Take out 1/4 of the meringue to the cocoa batter and fold well with a spatula.
- Fold the remaining meringue into matcha batter in 2 portions.
- Turn on the pot of water again at high heat while doing step 8.
- Spoon 2 heapful tablespoons of the matcha batter into the centre of the cake pan. Then 1 tablespoon of the cocoa batter on top. Continue doing this until all the mixture has been used.
- Then insert a skewer into the batter in one direction and draw the skewer up the opposite way to create pattern.
- Gently drop pan on table top to release air bubbles. Cover the top tightly with another piece of aluminum foil. Prick some holes on top with a skewer to release hot air while steaming.
- Turn down heat to medium low (water at gentle boiling stage), place the cake pan inside the steamer, covered with lid and steam for about 50 minutes. **test cake with a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- When the cake is cooked, remove the foil on top and drop the cake on table top a few times to prevent shrinkages. Invert the cake pan immediately to cool completely before removing the cake from pan.
- 4个 蛋黄 （用65克鸡蛋）
- 65克 细砂糖
- 50毫升 牛奶
- 50毫升 玉米油
- 50克 底筋面粉或中筋面粉
- 2汤匙 玉米淀粉
- 1汤匙 抹茶粉
- 1/2汤匙 可可粉
- 4个 蛋白
- 50克 细砂糖
- 预先烧开蒸笼的水，然后熄火备用。准备一个7寸圆活动蛋糕盘（盘内不用抹油)，外围用锡纸包严实 (以免蒸蛋糕的过程中水进入蛋糕体 )。
- 蛋白霜 – 把蛋白打致起泡泡，细砂糖分3次加入，打致硬性发泡。