After sharing the Steamed Chiffon Cake recipe on my blog last week, I steamed another simple and healthy chiffon cake with blue pea flowers. I’m using fresh blue pea flowers that I harvested from my little garden. You can use the dried blue pea flowers too that are available at most baking supplies stores. The size of the cake pan is 7 inches and the steaming time is 50 minutes. If you do not want to steam the cake, you can bake it for an hour at 160 degrees C. Since blue pea flowers have no flavour or taste but gives a natural food colouring agent, I sifted some Valrhona cocoa powder in between the batter to enhance a better flavour to the cake after steaming and I’m so happy that my cake turned out beautifully with the lovely colour. This Steamed Blue Pea Flower Chiffon Cake is moist and airy even after being chilled overnight in the refrigerator.
The extract of butterfly pea flower is widely used in Peranakan, Malay and Thailand cuisine as well making drink. Blue pea flower is rich in anthocyanin, a potent antioxidant that is also what gives it its fascinating colour-changing properties. The antioxidants in butterfly pea can rejuvenate the skin by stimulating collagen synthesis and lessen the signs of ageing. The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of butterfly pea flower extract can also help alleviate pain and reduce fevers. Read more benefits from here
Steamed Blue Pea Flower Chiffon Cake
- 4 egg yolks - use 65g egg with shell
- 65 g caster sugar
- 50 ml fresh milk - soaked with blue pea flowers
- 50 ml corn oil
- 50 g cake flour/plain flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour (starch)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60 pcs blue pea flowers + 100ml fresh milk @step 1 - fresh or dried
- Valrhona cocoa powder for dusting
- 4 egg whites
- 50 g caster sugar
- Gently boil fresh milk with blue pea flowers for 1 minute, off heat and leave to cool. Then strain out 50ml milk mixture.
- Boil a pot of water to boiling point, off heat and set aside. Wrap a 7 inch removable cake pan with aluminium foil to prevent water seeping through the pan while steaming (no need to grease the pan).
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in bowl, mix well with a hand whisk. Add "blue pea" milk and vanilla extract, mix well followed by corn oil and blend well. Sift flours into the egg mixture and stir well.
- Make meringue - Whisk egg whites to foamy, add sugar in 3 portions and whisk to peak forms (turn on the pot of water again at high heat before whisking the egg whites).
- Take out 1/3 of the meringue to the batter and mix well. Then pour it back to the remaining egg whites, gently fold well.
- Spoon a layer of batter into the pan and level it. Sift a thin layer of cocoa powder on top until evenly covered. Then another batter on top of the cocoa powder (total 3 layers batter and 2 layers cocoa powder).
- Gently drop pan on table top to release air bubbles. Cover the top tightly with another piece of aluminum foil. Then prick some holes on top with a skewer to release hot air while steaming.
- Turn down heat to medium low (water at gentle boiling stage), place the cake pan inside the steamer, covered with lid and steam for about 50 minutes. **test cake with a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- When the cake is cooked, drop the cake on table top a few times to prevent shrinkages. Invert the cake pan immediately to cool completely before removing the cake from pan.
- 4个 蛋黄 （用65克鸡蛋）
- 65克 细砂糖
- 50毫升 蝶豆花牛奶
- 50毫升 玉米油
- 50克 底筋面粉或中筋面粉
- 2汤匙 玉米淀粉
- 1茶匙 香草香精
- 60朵 蝶豆花和100毫升牛奶** （步骤1）
- 4个 蛋白
- 50克 细砂糖
- 蝶豆花和牛奶小火煮1分钟,熄火待凉）， 然后过滤取出50毫升蝶豆花牛奶。**没用鲜蝶豆花也可以用干的**
- 预先烧开蒸笼的水，然后熄火备用。准备一个7寸圆活动烤盘（盘内不用抹油)，外围用锡纸包严实(以免蒸蛋糕的过程中水进入蛋糕体 )。
- 再次烧开热水. 这时候把蛋白打致起泡泡，细砂糖分3次加入，打致硬性发泡。
- 将白面糊舀入烤盘内，抹平。接着筛入一层可可粉，然后再轻轻的铺上面糊和（筛入）可可粉 （一共3层面糊2层可可粉）。
- **不想蒸蛋糕，可以放进烤箱烤 ~ 160度约60分钟。