Almond Orange Pound Cake 杏仁香橙磅蛋糕
When I was browsing through Williams-Sonoma’s site for recipes, this Almond Orange Pound Cake caught my eye. 5 eggs were used but with little flour, only 90g. Then almond paste is required in the recipe. I’ve never tried almond paste in my bakes before and it so happened that I saw a small tub of almond paste (250g) available in the bakery supply shop the other day. I happily bought the almond paste and tried this recipe. The process is straight forward and I only reduced the sugar. The end result was sooo… perfect! This is the best pound cake that I’ve tasted so far. The cake was soft and moist with the sugary citrus glaze. I stored the cake in the refrigerator and thawed the cake in room temperature for a few minutes. I totally agree with Williams-Sonoma “Bursting with the sweet flavour of almond paste and tangy orange zest”. Thumbs Up for this great recipe!
Almond Orange Pound Cake 杏仁香橙磅蛋糕
Author: Ann Low
- ¾cup (90g) Cake flour/plain flour, sifted
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 5 Eggs (I measured the eggs - 270g)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (220g) Almond paste at room temperature
- 1 cup (250g) Sugar (I used 200g)
- 2 sticks (250g) Unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small chunks
- 2 tsp, finely grated Orange zest
- For glaze
- ¼ cup (60ml) Fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsps Fresh orange juice
- ¾ cup (185g) Sugar (I used 100g sugar)
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350F (180C). Butter and flour two 9-by-5 inch (23-by-13cm) loaf pans. (I used one 13 inch loaf pan and greased with cooking spray)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla just until combined.
- With an electric mixer, beat the almond paste on low speed until softt, about 1 minute. Slowly add the sugar in a a steady steam, beating until incorporated. Add butter, a chunk at a time, beating just until combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture is light in colour and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Continuing to beat on medium speed, drizzle in the egg mixture. Mix in the orange zest. Add the flour mixture in 2 additions, stirring after each until incorporated. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 45 minutes (I baked for almost 55 minutes). Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cakes cool about 10 minutes while you make the glaze.
- To make the glaze, in a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice, orange juice and sugar. (Warm up the juice at low heat and off heat once the sugar dissolved).
- Remove cake from pan and brush the warm cake with the glaze. Let the cakes cool completely on the rack, then cut into slices and serve.
- 90克 低筋面粉
- 1/2茶匙 发粉
- 盐 少许
- 5个 全蛋 (约270克)
- 1茶匙 Vanilla香精
- 220克 温室杏仁馅
- 250克 细糖 （我用200克）
- 250克 温室牛油，切大块
- 2茶匙 鲜橙皮屑
- 60毫升 鲜柠檬汁
- 3汤匙 鲜橙汁
- 185克 细砂糖 （我用了100克）
- 预热烤箱180度。 用两个小的长方形烤模约9×5寸 (我用的是13寸长烤模), 抹油。
- 将烤模放进烤箱里的最低第二层，烤约45分钟 （我烤了55分钟）或用牙签孔入蛋糕内部，拔出的牙签没残留物，就表示熟了。让模内的蛋糕放在铁丝架上约10分钟。（这时候就可以开始煮糖浆）
- 把糖浆材料混合在一起，用小火搅至糖融化即可 （不需煮滚）。
I’m linking this post to the ‘Little Thumbs Up’ event and the theme for June is ‘Butter’ organized by
Zoe of ‘Bake for Happy Kids’, Doreen of ‘My Little Favourite DIY’ and hosted by
Jozelyn of ‘Spice up my Kitchen’.
Hi Ann. Can I make this without the Almond Paste? 🙂 Just a normal butter pound cake?
Hi Ariel, The texture will be different in this cake without using the almond paste (220g). So better to look for a normal butter cake recipe.
Thank you Ann! Do you happen to have one? 🙂
I can imagine the flavour. Guess nothing left by now.
I love all orange cakes and this looks good. Love the fact it doesn't have much flour yet looks very moist and fluffy still.
Hi Ann, this pound cake looks moist and I have not tried Almond Paste in my bakes before.
it looks yummy!
Ann 你打包票的蛋糕，我一定不可以放过。让我去看看有没有almond paste。 对了，这个almond paste 和 marzipan 有不同吗？
Hi Helena, 我买的almond paste不太像marzipan。因为marzipan放进了冰箱会变硬和干，可是我买的almond paste还是蛮软的。有点像莲蓉又不会很甜。烘出来的蛋糕真的很不错，可以试试看。
any chance to get that response in English? 😉
Or could You specify the kind of almond paste You used? What are the ingredients in it? Ratio of almonds to sugar (any added fats?). Here in Germany the most common thing to get is Marzipan. Just wanna be sure the product is similar to what You used!
Hi Johannes, The almond paste that I bought is not marzipan. Is valhorna almond paste. Is a soft and fragrant paste. Not sure any fats added because the packing is in lose form, no content stated but is a little oily. In the cookbook they only states almond paste, I guess marzipan can be used too.
This cake looks so moist and buttery, love the combination of orange and almonds! I have my cup of tea ready to share with you!
I can smell the fragrance from here, looks good, like!
My kind of cake.. 🙂 yummy!
I haven't used gum paste before, this will be for me. I can't wait to see how comes out.
Looks delicious….am imagining the citrus and nutty taste, yum yum!
Hi Ann, I haven't come across almond paste yet, though I have used almond powder, ground almond or essence etc. A lovely pound cake you have baked ^-^!
Orange and almond, I think it is the best combo in a cake. Love the beautiful colour too.
Hi Ann, love your pound cake here, esp the glossy top! Can see that the cake texture is very fine & moist, nice photos too!
Is the cake very sweet.
Hi Florence, I've already reduced the sugar. The sweetness is just right for me.
beautiful beautiful… love the glaze to finish off the cake.. something simple has become a luscious treat in your hands again Ann!
Hi Ann, this is so lovely. I would love to try.
Hi Ann, I am so happy to see this recipe because I have a packet of almond paste waiting to be used! Going to try this soon…love the fine texture of this cake!
Looks so yum! Feel like pinching a bite off the screen LOL!
Ann, this must be a very fragrant and super delicious cake! I love orange cakes!
Ann, this is so perfect…from the colour, texture to the photos. Just wonderful!
I can clearly see the extra moist texture of your pound cake in your photo. I like the addition of almond paste in this cake and I bet it must be the reason why the cake is so moist.
Almond and orange sound like a great flavor combination!