This popular Dutch Butter Cake (Boterkoek) is a rich and buttery flat cake often served with a cup of coffee in Holland. The texture is a cross between a cake, a shortcrust pastry and a shortbread cookie. This Dutch Butter cake is on the sweet side even though I had reduced the sugar to the minimal. I would rather call the thick batter as dough because it has more flour and only an egg is used. If you want to bake the cake a bit longer, it’ll be dense and more dry but it still tastes good after a day or two. I baked mine for 20 minutes. Mixing the ingredients is a breeze in less than 10 minutes with brushing of beaten egg yolk on top. You may spend some time arranging some almond flakes on top of the dough or to make it quick, just omit them. Cool the cake after baking and cut into square sizes and serve.
Dutch Butter Cake
- 220 g soft butter - at room temperature
- 140 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond flavor - or vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 220 g cake flour/plain flour
- 30 g ground almond
- 1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp water
- almond flakes/dried cranberries - garnishing
- Preheat oven at 170 degrees C. Grease and line pan ( 8 x 8 cake pan).
- Cream soft butter, caster sugar and almond flavour together till light, then add egg and mix well.
- Sieve in flour and ground almond together and fold well with a rubber spatula.
- Pour dough into prepared pan and spread out, then cover with a cling pan. Using a scraper to flatten dough.
- Lightly mix egg yolk with water and brush on top of dough, then with a scraper or fork to create a crosshatch pattern on top.
- Lastly decorate with almond flakes and dried cranberries (cut to smaller pieces) and bring the cake to bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes till golden.
- Cut the cake into square and serve after cooling.
- 220克 软牛油 （温室软化）
- 140克 细砂糖 （糖分已经减了）
- 1/2茶匙 杏仁香精或香草香精
- 1个 大鸡蛋
- 220克 底筋面粉/中筋面粉
- 30克 杏仁粉
- 1个 蛋黄+1/2水，刷面