The Dōngzhì Festival, or Winter Solstice Festival, is one of the most important Chinese festivals and this year it falls on the 21st of December, that is today. Traditionally, tang yuan sweet soup (glutinous rice balls with sweet filling) is part of the celebration of this special day. Families get together and have homemade Tang Yuan (or store bought) sweet soup to celebrate family reunion, and turning a year older. This year for the Dōngzhì festival, I made pumpkin tang yuan yesterday with some leftover red bean paste and shaped them like little cute pumpkins for my family to enjoy as dessert after our reunion dinner.
- 90 - 100g pumpkin (without skin)
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 125g glutinous rice flour
- 100ml water (add according to the texture)
- 150g red bean paste, divide into small balls, about 8g each or smaller
- 1 litre water
- 4 pandan leaves, knotted
- 80g rock sugar
- Boil water, pandan leaves and rock sugar together and simmer for 10 minutes at low heat, set aside for later use.
- Steam pumpkin to soft for about 15 minutes. Mash cooked pumpkin together with the pumpkin water with a fork while it is still hot and combine with glutinous rice flour and sugar. Slowly add water and knead to a soft dough until not sticky to hand.
- Pinch a small knob of the pumpkin dough and knead with little matcha powder. Then divide pumpkin dough to small balls, about 15g each or smaller.
- Flatten the dough a little and wrap the red bean paste into it, then roll into round ball. Using a skewer to press a few lines on top. Then pinch off a little matcha dough and shape it into a small stem. Dip it with little water and stick on to the top of the shaped pumpkin.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and gently drop the pumpkin balls into it. Cook until they float to the surface. Transfer them immediately to a bowl of cold water.
- To serve, add a few pumpkin tang yuan into a serving bowl and pour some hot sweet soup over.
- 90-100克 金瓜 （去了皮）
- 1/2汤匙 细糖
- 125克 糯米粉
- 100毫升 水
- 150克 红豆沙，分成20粒 小圆球
- 1公升 水
- 4片 香兰叶，打结
- 80克 冰糖
Happy Winter Solstice Festival
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone ！