Shrimp Rice Noodle Rolls (虾肠粉), a Cantonese cuisine, are smooth and silky steamed rolls which is one of the most popular dim sum snacks served in Chinese restaurants. A variety of filling besides shrimps can be added in the rice noodle rolls, like ground beef, char siew (BBQ pork), dried shrimps or even plain ones (肠粉）that are served with only the sauce.
I was so attracted by the yummy looking shrimp rice noodle rolls shared by my friends on Facebook recently and I just can’t wait to give it a try. So, here is my dim sum made for our afternoon tea. This is my second attempt (recipe source with slight adjustment) to make these soft rice noodle rolls as the first one wasn’t very successful. It takes about 6 minutes to steam the cheung fun （肠粉）with filling (yielding only 7 rolls) but the total time taken to make these 7 rolls is about 45 minutes. To shorten the steaming time, you can pre-steam the shrimps and then add them after the cheung fun (肠粉) is fully cooked before rolling it into a log.
If you’re new to my blog and would like to receive new post update and never miss a recipe, please subscribe with your email address at follow.it (the subscribe box is at the sidebar or click at the following >> Anncoo Journal below the recipe). ~~ Thank you!
Shrimp Rice Noodle Rolls
- 60 g rice flour
- 30 g corn flour (starch)
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour (starch)
- 315 g water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp corn oil
- 5 fresh prawns - shelled and deveined, cut cubes
- some spring onion - cut
- 250 ml hot water
- 2.5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp chicken powder or fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Batter - Mix the flours in a bowl with water, stir well to smooth until no lumps. Add salt and oil, stir well the mixture again, set aside for later use..
- Clean prawns and cut to cubes, season with little salt and pepper, set aside.
- Sauce - combine the sauce ingredients together, stir well and set aside for later use.
- Prepare two small steaming tray that can fit your steamer or wok. Place one steaming tray into the steamer with boiling water and grease with some oil (lower the heat if you can't stand the high heat). Pour 1 to 1.5 small ladle of batter just enough to cover the tray. Steam at high heat for 3 minutes with lid on. The rice noodle is done when you see bubbles popping up on the surface while steaming.
- Uncover the lid and scatter some prawn cubes and spring onion over the rice noodle and steam at high heat again for another 3 minutes to cook the prawns.
- Remove cooked noodle from the steamer and set aside to cool (is easier to roll the rice noodle when cooled). Grease the second steaming tray and repeat step 4 and 5. Stir the batter well again before each cooking. **Wash and dry the tray after steaming and continue cooking the rest of the batter.
- Using a rubber spatula or dough cutter (grease with little oil) and roll the cooked rice noodle into a log. Serve Shrimp Rice Noddles with the prepared sauce and garnish with some toasted white sesame seeds.
- 60克 粘米粉
- 30克 玉米粉 （生粉）
- 1汤匙 木薯粉
- 315克 水 （1.5杯）
- 1/4茶匙 盐
- 1/4茶匙 玉米油
- 5只 中虾，去壳洗净，切丁壮
- 250毫升 热水
- 2.5汤匙 酱请
- 1茶匙 鸡精粉或鱼露
- 1茶匙 糖
- 1茶匙 麻油
- 酱汁 – 将酱汁调味料混合均匀，备用。
- 准备2个小平盘，把一个平盘放入水已烧开蒸笼里，平盘中刷一层薄薄的油（觉得蒸笼里的水太荡的话，就把火调低），将1 – 1.5勺米浆倒入平盘中（不要太厚），摇晃均匀，摆平 大火蒸3约分钟。看到肠粉起泡泡的时候就是熟了。
- 将蒸好的粉肠取出待凉 （待凉后的粉肠比较好卷）。把第二个平盘放入蒸笼里，步骤跟4和5一样做法。记得米浆一定要搅匀才倒入盘中。**每一次蒸好肠粉后要把平盘冲洗净抹干才倒入米浆。