Everyone who goes to eat at KFC, more often than not will order a combo meal with a side dish of mashed potato which is smooth and creamy to go with the deep fried chicken. You can find many similar versions of (copycat) KFC mashed potato and gravy recipes online. The main ingredients for the gravy would be beef and chicken stock cubes. It’s not time consuming to make this side dish at home. Within an hour, you can serve this with fried chicken, stewed beef, grilled or roasted meat.
For the mashed potato, you just need to boil and mash it, then mix in butter, milk and dairy whipping cream till it’s smooth and creamy. Making the the gravy is really easy and can be done in less than 10 minutes. Both mashed potato and gravy can be kept in the refrigerator for at least 3 days. Just reheat the mashed potato by steaming it for about 10-15 minutes. The gravy will be thickened and set after chilled. Pour gravy into a small pot, add some water to dilute it, stir well till smooth and and can be served immediately or keep it warm under a pot of hot water before serving.
smooth and creamy (copycat) KFC mashed potato and gravy
KFC Mashed Potato and Gravy
- 1 kg potato
- 2 tsp salt
- 30 g butter
- 3/4 cup fresh milk
- 1/4 cup dairy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1.5 tsp chicken powder
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 40 g butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour - all purpose flour
- 520 ml water
- 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
- dash of pepper - white or black pepper
- Mashed potato - Peel potato skins and cut into small pieces. Put water in a pot and add enough water to submerge the potatoes with 2 tsp of salt. Boil for about 20-30 minutes or until potatoes softened and drained
- In a clean pot under low heat, add butter, milk and cream together to a light boil, stir well (can use 1 full cup of milk if you don't have whipping cream at home). Off heat and pour in the cooked potatoes. Mash the potatoes to fine. Then on the heat to low again, and stir well the potato mixture to smooth and creamy with 1/2 tsp salt till the cream mixture dries up a little. Off heat and set aside.
- Gravy - Gravy - In a small bowl, crush beef stock cube with a back of the spoon and combine with chicken powder. Add 3 tablespoons of hot water into it and blend well till powder dissolved. **You may also melt the seasoning in the microwave for about 1 minute.**
- In a small pot, melt butter until low heat. Sprinkle flour over melted butter and stir well (no need to be smooth). Add water and seasoning (step 3), stir liquid to boil at medium heat till thickened and add some pepper into it. Add a little more water if you find the sauce is too thick.
- Add dark soya sauce to darken the gravy a little. (you may omit this step, if you find the colour of the gravy looks ok to you).
- When ready, pour gravy over mashed potato and serve.
- Mash potato can be stored in the fridge for about at least 3 days. Reheat the mash potato by steaming it for about 10 minutes after chilled.
- The gravy will be thickened and set after chilled. Pour gravy into a small pot, add some water to dilute it, stir well till smooth.
- Serve mashed potato and gravy immediately or keep them warm under a pot of hot water before serving.
- 1公斤 马铃薯
- 2茶匙 盐
- 30克 牛油
- 3/4杯 牛奶
- 1/4杯 动物性奶油
- 1/2茶匙 盐
- 1粒 牛肉精
- 1.5茶匙 鸡精粉
- 3汤匙 热水
- 40克 牛油
- 3汤匙 中筋面粉（普通面粉）
- 520毫升 水
- 1/2汤匙 黑酱油 （上色）
- 马铃薯泥 – 马铃薯去皮切成小块状。放入水中（加入2茶匙盐）煮约20-30分钟这软，把水倒掉。
- 用小火加热锅，放入牛油，牛奶和奶油搅匀至微滚（没有奶油的话，可全部用牛奶- 1杯），熄火。倒入马铃薯压烂成泥。再开小火不停的搅拌马铃薯混合物（加1/2茶匙盐）约5分钟至顺滑成粘稠泥状及水分吸收稍微干一点即可。熄火备用。
- 酱汁 – 将牛肉精和鸡精粉放入小碗中压碎。倒入3汤匙热水，混合均匀至融化。**也可以放入微波炉1分钟融化**