600g Hong Kong flour
360g Sugar Syrup
12g Alkaline water
150g Peanut oil
3kg Lotus paste (for about 20 pcs mooncakes)
- Knead lotus paste well and weigh 150g each – roll into a ball shape.
- Mix sugar syrup, alkaline water and peanut oil together – combine well.
- Sift Hong Kong flour in a large bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the sugar syrup mixture.
- Use a rubber spatula to mix and form to a soft dough. Cover and let it rest for 20 mins.
- Lightly dust some Hong Kong flour on table and knead dough again till smooth. Measure dough to 50g each.
- Wrap the lotus paste with the soft dough then dust some Hong Kong flour on it and place inside the mooncake mold, flatten dough to conform to shape of mold.
- To dislodge the mooncake, bang one end each of the mold on a thick phone directory or hard surface with equal force.
- Place mooncake on lined baking tray, not too close about 10 pieces on one tray for even baking.
- Baked in preheated oven 180C for 7 mins and rest to cool down before egg wash mooncake with a soft brush and bake for another 15 mins at 175C.
- Remove mooncakes from oven and brush some glaze on mooncake.
- Leave mooncakes to cool and store in airtight container.
Kitchen note : Egg wash – one egg yolk + 1 tbsp water mix well and pass through a sieve. Add little egg yellow coloring and mix well.