This delicious Whisked Sponge Cake tasted like an old fashioned egg cake with eggy taste and the cake is crumbly, not so dense but soft. I really like this plain cake, even after being chilled in the refrigerator for more than 3 days. Just perfect for the whole day snack. It really brings back some childhood memories when my late grandma used to buy us these egg cakes especially when she went marketing in Chinatown.
It is extremely easy to bake this cake with only 4 ingredients (adapted from here) and no baking powder, milk or even vanilla flavour is required. You just just need to whisk the eggs on top of a bowl of hot water to warm up the eggs. Then continue to whisk at high speed with the cake stand mixer or electric hand held mixer for about 5 minutes, sieve in the flour, fold and lastly add warm butter. In total it’s about 10 minutes and you can send the cake to bake in the oven. Sounds easy, right?
Whisked Sponge Cake ~ perfect for whole day snack
Whisked Sponge Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 125 g plain flour all purpose flour
- 55 g butter
- Line the bottom of a 7 inch removable cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
- Place eggs into mixing bowl and sit on top of a bowl of hot water (after boiled) and beat the eggs for 3 minutes with a hand whisk. The eggs should feel a little warm after whisking (test it with your finger tip).
- Then remove the mixing bowl from the bowl of hot water and beat the eggs with stand mixer. Add sugar into the eggs and whisk at high speed for 5 minutes until double volume. Lower to speed one and whisk for 30 seconds to get rid of some air bubbles. To test it, you can write a letter "O" on the surface of egg batter and it should stay there for a few seconds then you have the right consistency.
- Transfer the egg batter to a large bowl. Sieve flour in 3 batches and fold gently well with a rubber spatula in each addition. Do not over mix or you will deflate the batter.
- Melt the butter at low heat. When you see the butter almost melted, remove from heat. Do not boil and stir well.
- Scoop some batter into the melted butter and mix well. Then pour the mixture into the remaining batter and gently fold well with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and gently drop the pan on table top twice to knock out air bubbles.
- Then place cake pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or when the tester comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately drop pan twice on table top to release hot air. Then over turn cake pan on wire rack to cool completely before unmoulding and slice to serve.
- 4个 大鸡蛋
- 100克 细砂糖
- 125克 中筋面粉
- 55克 牛油
- 把打好的蛋液倒入大碗中，面粉分3次过筛入蛋液里，每一次都要用刮刀轻轻的翻拌均匀即可 （不要过度的搅拌，要不然蛋液就会泡消掉）。
- 用底火融化牛油，看到牛油差不多要融掉了，就熄火 ，搅融牛油就可以了。