I can never get tired of making zebra cake as it is always fun making the cake with pretty zebra stripes. It is very rewarding to see the zebra stripes in the cake, once it is sliced. This zebra butter cake is a little dense but the texture is just right, moist and yummy, not overly sweet with the addition of yoghurt. The cake is fragrant with the plain and cocoa batter but you can definitely change the cocoa to matcha flavour if you prefer. This zebra butter cake is perfect to enjoy with a cup of coffee for an lazy afternoon.
Zebra Butter Cake
- 220 g cake flour or plain flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 250 g salted butter room temperature
- 160 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g natural yoghurt room temperature
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder sifted, mix with 2 tbsp milk or water
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C. Grease a 8 inch round cake pan with butter or cooking spray, line base with parchment paper. Sift plain flour and baking together, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Reduce speed, add vanilla extract. Add eggs, one at a time beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Add in half of the flour followed by the yoghurt and remaining flour, beating until just incorporated.
- Take out half of the plain batter and blend well with the cocoa paste.
- Spoon 3 heapful tablespoons of the plain batter into the middle of the cake pan. Straight away spoon 2 heapful tablespoons of the chocolate batter on top. Continue doing this until all the mixture has been used. Then slightly tap and shake the cake pan to even the batter.
- Create feather patterns by inserting a skewer into the batter in one direction and draw the skewer up the opposite way.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or a skewer into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out cake onto rack to cool completely.
- 220克 低筋面粉/中筋通面粉
- 1/2汤匙 泡打粉
- 250克 温室含盐牛油
- 160克 细砂糖
- 4个 大鸡蛋
- 2茶匙 香草香精
- 200克 温室酸奶（天然優格）
- 1.5汤匙 可可粉（过筛）+2汤匙牛奶或水，拌成糊状，备用
- 预热烤箱至摄氏170度。 准备一圆形8寸烤盘，烤盘内抹油底部铺纸。面粉及泡打粉一起过筛备用。
- 先舀入2大汤匙原味面糊到烤盘摸中间，再放上2大汤匙 可可面糊糊。重复此动作至完。然后轻轻的敲两下及摇动烤盘让面糊变平整。